Beastly Bells Yeast in RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbes

Reaction score
Last nioght I bottled my RIS that was brewed back in early April. I had pitched a healthy amount of yeast from a previous batch of porter that used Bells yeast. OG of the RIS was 1.102 and in primary it got down to 1.029 or 9.5% ABV (6 weeks).

I wanted to hit 10% on this one, so I made up a strong 2 qt starter with Bells, plenty of yeast nutrient, and a 30 minute boil with some hops. Pitched the whole thing at high krausen into a sanitized carboy and racked the RIS on top. It was happily fermenting away for almost a month slow and steady.

I didn't open it up until last night, but when I checked the gravity it was all the way down to 1.011. No visual, smell, or taste cues for an infection, so I have to assume the Bells yeast did all of the work. I was impressed. It's sitting at 11.94% ABV, and thats before the priming sugar add. So smooth, yet I was almost catching a buzz off the smell of this brew. Now if I can just hold off on cracking my first for another 6 months.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of work out of Bells yeast, or other brewing types for that matter?

I've found Bell's yeast usually does attenuate further than 1056 or S-05 given the same mash temps, though it takes a little bit longer to finish. For this reason I really just use it for my APAs and IPAs, since I usually like a little bit more body in my other beers.

Back