Building a Pumpkin Spice Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcarde01

Reaction score
This is the first recipe I'm trying to build on my own, so I'm not sure if I have the right balance. I've read many recipes for all sorts of pumpkin ale, have seen things I liked/didn't like, and with the help of BeerSmith came out with this preliminary recipe. I'm not planning to use any actual pumpkin at all.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: American Ale Wyeast 1056
Batch size: 5 gal
Est OG: 1.060
Est FG: 1.014
IBU: 27.1
Color: 13.9 SRM

4.5 lbs Amber DME (50%)
2.5 lbs Munich LME (27.8%)
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (11.1%)
1 lb Vienna Malt (11.1%)
2.25 Goldings (Boil 60 min.)
1.25 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
.5 tsp Nutmeg
.5 tsp Ground cloves

Steep Caramel and Vienna grains for 20-30 min. or until 170 F. Stir in Amber and Munich and bring to boil. Add Goldings once boil is reached. At 55 min, add spices. After a about 7 days, rack to secondary, add additional spices to taste (if needed).

I would appreciate any and all critiques or suggestions!

Looks relatively similar to a recipe we've used recently to good results. While we are doing AG brews we had a similar ideas of an Oktoberish beer as the base. My concern with your recipe would be that it may end up too "spicy." We were aiming for a more mellow spice flavor but to each his own. We used Jamil's spicing quantities and very much liked the results with the exception of it being a bit shy on the aroma (into secondary also next time maybe).

Spices
.5 t. Cinnamon (1 min.)
.25 t. Ginger (1 min.)
.125 t. Nutmeg (1 min.)
.125 t. Allspice (1 min.)

In addition I would be careful of using the Vienna in a steeping method. It being a relatively lightly modified base malt you may need to actually perform some sort of PM to get the fermentables out that you are looking for. Just keep that temp of your "steep" in the saccrification temperature range for that period and you should be in the neighborhood.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep in mind altering the amount of spices. To be honest, I took those quantities right from my mom's pie recipe, so I figured I'd need to do some tweaking.

As for the Vienna, do you think that the value it would add is even worth the hassle? Could I just do away with that altogether and split the difference between the Amber and Munich?

You would def get a malty flavor profile out of it. Anything that is approx 11% of your grain bill will contribute a significant amount of flavor. With that being said you could alter your recipe if you'd like but it also might be useful to associate yourself with the partial mash process as it adds a lot of other malts to your repertoire.

Having made a pumpkin ale last year, your spice amount seems really high to me. I think I used 1 tsp or less total of spice for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Back