Ok, first timer too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VtomX

Reaction score
I just moved my first batch from the first fermenter bucket to the glass carboy after cooking it last Saturday. As I transfered it, I left alot, ok most, of the sediment (hops and some white looking stuff) in the bucket. Did I just leave most of my yeast out of the barboy? Will this go ahead and ferment properly or did I mess up big time? Will I have 5 gallons of cloudy looking gruel to feed to the dogs??:confused:

Thanks for your input!!

There is still plenty of yeast in suspension. Don't worry. What you did was called racking to the secondary. Years ago, people believed this was a necessity. Most people avoid this step now and just leave their beer in the primary for around 3-4 weeks and only use a secondary when adding fruit, oaking, etc.

As a side note though, and maybe you were being somewhat facetious, but as a dog lover I must say... do NOT let your dogs anywhere near hops or anything that may contain hops. Hops can kill dogs.

Thanks, I was just trying to be funny about the dogs thing! They prefer wine anyway!

Ok, so I shouldn't worry too much then?

You shouldn't worry at all. ;)

I just noticed you said you brewed this last Saturday... that doesn't mean 3 days ago does it? If so, you are probably in the middle of active fermentation. While you will still have plenty of yeast in suspension, racking to secondary during this time is ill advised. Everything will probably be ok, but my rule of thumb is to not bother the primary at all for at least 1 week, not even for a hydrometer reading.

Yeah... next time... insert this line to the kit instructions.

Step 1: Throw away kit instuctions.

Yeah... next time... insert this line to the kit instructions.

Step 1: Throw away kit instuctions.

First timer...what do I know?

SO it would have been better to leave it alone for a few more days than have messed with it tonight. I am going to be busy the next couple nights and I thought this was my best chance rather than waiting, but I shoulda waited huh?

I'm new to this as well, but from what I have learned you want to leave it alone until the gravity stabalizes before moving it to secondary fermentation. Again I'm new to this as well, but I believe this is correct.

VtomX said:
First timer...what do I know?

SO it would have been better to leave it alone for a few more days than have messed with it tonight. I am going to be busy the next couple nights and I thought this was my best chance rather than waiting, but I shoulda waited huh?

Your beer will be fine.....but next time, leave it in the bucket for at least 2 weeks, then either bottle it (good), transfer to your carboy (better), or let it sit 1 more week before bottling (best)..your choice!

Back