Pipe/tube size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting together my brewing rig and moving to all grain and all electric at the same time so I can brew in the basement. I have a regular pump a buddy gave me that I plan to use for transfer from HLT to MLT and plan to buy a magnetic pump for transfer from MLT to boil kettle.

My question is what size line or piping should I use from MLT to boil kettle? I plan to use the quick release CAM locks and all the fittings associated are 1/2 inch. Should I stay 1/2 or drop to 3/8? My concern is to not lose too much wort in the lines?

Or am I over thinking?

I use 1/2 with the camlocks for tranfers and it works fine. You shouldn't lose very much wort in the lines, if your concerned about it you can always drain the lines into a small container and dump into boil kettle. I would stay with 1/2'' throughout it'ed be easy and cheaper.

I don't loose any to the plumbing. I pump boiled water from the HLT through after emptying the BK.

Whichever size you go with, try to keep that size all throughout your system...I use 1/2" and enjoy the flow rates.

yep, over thinking it
It seems to me the pumps are reverse of how they should be used: Transfer from HLT to MT should be throttled where as the transfer to the BK doesn't need to be.

Back