How to pitch yeast with a extract kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixstring78

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch of beer last weekend and am planning on doing my second next weekend. I just wanted to make sure that I am getting everything right.

Here's what I did last weekend, according to the semi-vague instructions on the kit:
-Boiled 1 gallon of water and added the extract & sugar
-Added 5 gallons of water to my fermenter (room temp)
-Cooled the wort in a ice bath down to 78F
-Added wort to fermenter which had the 5 gallons of room temp water
-Pitched yeast(I had activated the yeast in 78F water for about 10 min prior)

Does this sound about right, or should I do something different?
Any suggestions would be helpful!

Cheers!

10G? Did you double a 5G kit or what? Most kits are 5G,cooper's are 23L (6.072G). What did you put together?

Ooops, my bad. I was meaning litres, but obviously my conversion skills this morning are completely off! lol Yes, it was a coopers. Ends up at just slightly over 6G like you said.
I corrected it in my post to not confuse anyone else. :)
I must have had a few beer this morning and not even noticed! lol

Ok,I see the changes now. I was wondering...:drunk:? I'd chill the wort down closer to 70F (21C) myself. I brew the cooper's kits at 20C with the ale yeast they provide in the OS kits. You just need to change that last line about the 10G bit. Otherwise,sounds about right. I did 1 1/4G in the brew kettle,then topped off with natural spring water (tap water here is lake water). I think I'll increase the partial boil to 2G,since I like late aroma/flavor hop additions before mixing all at flame out.

I just made a coopers real ale and used a little over half gallon in the brew kettle. I boiled the water turned the flame off and mixed in the can of LME, then poured it in my 6 gallon bucket and mixed in my sugar and DME. Filled the bucket to 5.5 gallons and sprinkled the dry yeast on the wort, then put my lid on and it is brewing very well. It took about 6 hours to start seeing the yeast working.

Back