beer from malta goya??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ratdog

Reaction score
wish i knew what i know now when i was younger (under age)

everything i needed was at wal-mart
malta goya and bakers yeast.

any1 ever tried this? think im gonna just for s#$ts and giggles.
i got an empty gallon jug that needs to ferment something. it looks sad empty.

maybe i'll try 1 with bakers yeast and 1 with some 1056 i got in the fridge.

I have never tried it, but I know people do use it for starters.

I wonder if it has any preservatives that would inhibit fermenting it...please let us know if you try...would be interesting to know how it turns out..

See the quote from Beninan, it's been used quite heavily for making staters, so of course it doesn't have anything in it that would inhibit fermentation. ;)

It's just really unfermented, lightly hopped and carbed wort.

1ratdog, You're not the first person who's contemplated using it as a base for brewing, we talked about it in the epic GaP (Grocery and Produce) Beer Experiment though I'm not certain anyone ever did it as a full beer.

But I've just been shown a hooch forum for expats in countries where alcohol is banned, where folks make "beer" out of O'doul's or other n/a beers, so this is probably better.

Baldrick's Beer

3 cases alcohol free beer
2kg sugar
500ml jar dark molasses
1 tsp. yeast

Pour beer into bin.
Melt sugar in a little water (just enough to wet all the sugar, after all we don’t want water in our beer, do we?)
Add molasses.
Pour resulting syrup into beer and allow to cool.
Add yeast and leave 1 - 2 weeks to ferment.
Bottle adding ¼ tsp. of sugar to each bottle (or better still simple syrup).
Leave at least 1 week to settle.

As you can see, this recipe can be used for other volumes -
Simply use the 3 to 2 ratio to get your desired volume

*shudder*

But Keep us posted on the malta beer. :mug:

I've thought about doing a one gallon batch of it just for ****s and giggles, but the only thing that has stopped me is that it has high fruticose corn syrup in it. I try to stay away from HFC.

For what it's worth, it won't be HFC after the yeast is done with it.

I've wondered about "Malta beer" in the past, but never tried it. I might have to give it a go for the hell of it.

On the Final Gravity Podcast they had a mr beer kit comp. Rules allowed for some added ingredients. Someone brought up the idea of adding Goya Malta in place of some of the water. I don't remember hearing how it ended up.

I've tried drinking the starter beer from malta when decanting off the fluid before pitching and it isn't anything great, closer to nasty. Try it, though, and see.

Just made a starter out of the stuff, sg appeared to be 1.06 just incase anyone wondered. Boiling carbonated liquid is weird btw.

Just made a starter out of the stuff, sg appeared to be 1.06 just incase anyone wondered. Boiling carbonated liquid is weird btw.

Out of curiosity..why did you think it needed to be boiled? I would think the bottle contents are essentially sterile, or at least as aseptic as freshly boiled wort...you'd probably be fine just sanitizing the outside and dumping it in your starter container...

I added too much water to bring it down to 1.04 for my starter, had to concentrate it. Water wasn't sterile either.
That and I wanted to add some yeast nutrient, and it says add to boil with 15 mins left. So I boiled it for 15 mins.

I'm going to try this, maybe tomorrow.

Does anyone know how many IBUs are in the original product? I've never tasted it. I'm just wondering if I should add any for bittering. If there are already enough, I'll just add a flavor/aroma addition.

I've tasted it now. There's not enough hops to detect.

How's this sound:
11-7 oz bottles of Malta Goya (I tasted one)
0.1 oz Nugget @ 60
0.1 oz Centennial @ 10

Pacman yeast from a bottle of Rogue.

I have done this. I ran through the entire process. Use malta regal. No funny stuff in the ingredients. What i ended up with was simple alcoholic malta goya. Tasted alright though probably better with finer yeast. It was so carbonated it was between champagne and beer. Almost no body. But about 6%abv. 5gals of this matla "especial" cost 8 bucks. Get it ice cold and enjoy. Clears up very nicely!!

underground and under the influence

I have a beer machine pilsner dry extract for 2.5 gal batch. I added 1.5 gal of malta goya to the mix and extened the batch to 3.5 gal. And the first hydrometer reading says 8 percent potential alchohol. I also added 1 oz of kent goldings and .5 amarillo. I think this is going to be very nice.

Back