I want to brew a generic sour brown oaky beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spm1327

Reaction score
I posted my last two in the wrong place, WHOOPS!

I want to brew a slightly sour belgian brown...

I have a lot of questions about brewing a (sorta) sour. From what I've tasted and read there is a lot of ambiguity between Oud Bruins and Flandres Reds, Belgian Browns...
Here's what I was thinking: (from what I've read)

4lbs belgian pilsner
1lbs caramunich 37L
1lbs caravienne 20L
1lbs tf&s dark crystal 70L?
.25 tf&s pale chocolate
1lbs candied beet sugar

1 package of pasteur champagne & 1 Wyeast Brettanomyces Lambicus starters both are going

Primary 1 month, Secondary 2-3...

I'm shooting for a close to 6% ABV low IBU sour brown with a little oak. Hopefully low gravity < 1.012

When do I add wood chips? How much? Where do I get them?

I've had Monk's Cafe and Dutchese des Bourgogne a few times - not a big fan - too much residual sugar.

Bourgogne des Flandres or La Folie from New Belgium are more what I'm shooting for.

PS I understand maybe my expectations are unrealistic, but regardless I'm going to start brewing this first thing in the AM :rockin:

PPS - thank you in advance!

Just briefly off the top of my head:

1. Way too much crystal malt. That's nearly 50%...I'd shoot for less than 10% crystal malt.
2. Don't use champagne yeast. Start with a beer yeast and add the brett either at the same time, or after primary fermentation. When you add it will vary the brett character in the beer. I personally like to ferment, crash cool, rack to secondary and add bugs....there are varying opinions of doing this.
3. Secondary will be closer to 1 year +. Brett is slow.
4. Add oak to secondary. If its cubes, 1-2 months of contact time with .75 oz or so is pretty nice (sour beers are generally not in your face oaky). Less time required if you're using chips.

thanks sir - I'm going to have to figure out another beer to make with this starter, I already have pasteur champagne and brett lambicus starting - SH$T
maybe a brett brown?

Crystal malt is a big part of the character of the reds/browns, 40% is too much, but 20% wouldn't be out of bounds.

If you want the beer to sour you'll need to add lactic acid bacteria (Lactobacillus and/or Pediococcus). Brett adds funky flavors and dries the beer out, but only produces acid in rare and specific circumstances. Agreed on using brewer's yeast unless you are trying to do something specific (I've been mulling using red wine yeast in a Flemish Red for a few months).

Not sure what you should do with the starter, you could just toss it in after primary fermentation on this beer since there won't be much for the Champagne yeast to eat.

I like cubes as well, I just add .5-1 oz (boiled first) when I rack to secondary. French medium toast is a good place to start. You can always add more later if you want more character.

I add all my microbes at the start of fermentation, I haven't gotten "commercial" level acidity waiting until after primary fermentation. If you want to sour with lacto keep the IBUs low (< 5) or it won't do much.

Back