Late Boil Hop Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcoates

Reaction score
Has anyone else stopped doing late boil hop additions?

I Normal did a 5 min or flameout hop addition. But after doing some research I found the CO2 drives off most of the Aroma of the Hops, so why do it.

If I want a good Hop Aroma I will just dry hop after fermentation has slowed way down or stopped.

But after doing some research I found the CO2 drives off most of the Aroma of the Hops, so why do it.

I've never heard of that, and it doesn't make any sense. If that were true, then dry hopping would be ineffective....since you carb the beer afterwards (most science articles I've read have had some conflicting ideas about which specific oils add the most aromas). I tend to like to do a 2 minute addition for my hoppy IPAs, since I do think it provides a good balanced beer (where I'm striving for a good bitterness and floral aroma).

Early hop additions are only good for bittering. If you want to taste the hops then you should have MORE hop additions late. If you add most your IBUs late with massive hop additions (compared to 60-90 min. amounts) you'll get more taste. I find aroma is more of a dry hopping thing than in the boil.

I Normal did a 5 min or flameout hop addition. But after doing some research I found the CO2 drives off most of the Aroma of the Hops, so why do it.

That's true, and that's why you don't dryhop until after fermentation is over. However, you still get a ton of flavor from those late addition hops and if anything I use far more late hopping additions than ever before!

A typical IPA hopping schedule for me:

60 minutes
15 minutes
10 minutes
5 minutes
1 minute (or flame out)
Dryhop

I get awesome hop flavor and will not be changing my schedules.

However, you still get a ton of flavor from those late addition hops and if anything I use far more late hopping additions than ever before!

So if the flavor you get diffrent than the flavor you get with a 20min addition.

The 20min one has been last addition

Back