How to stop yeast, but still bottle carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I am making some Puerto Rican Maví. Basically, it is cane sugar, water, and spices. It is typically drunk when it is still fermenting so that it is sweet and fizzy. However, this is a problem if I want to bottle it. The OG was 1.067, and right now I'm guessing it's at 1.020 and still going. Is there any possible way I can stop the yeast to preserve the sweetness, but still bottle carb?

I guess the first option is to use Campden tablets to kill the yeast. However, then I couldn't bottle carb. I would have to add yeast at bottling, and that would probably result in bottle bombs since there would still be a lot of residual sugar.

I could also just let it completely ferment out, then add some bottling sugar and splenda to get the sweetness back. However, I'm concerned that it will just be too dry on the palate by then.

Anybody have better suggestions or comments?

If you have the equipment you could force carb after adding the campden and potasium sorbate. Then bottle from the keg.

I'm probably going to try the stovetop thing myself with a Hard Cider after back sweetening it.

Check out the sticky in the cider forum on stove top pasteurization: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

I'd say bottle it now, leave it for a week, check a bottle every day or so thereafter. once it's carbed as much as you want, pasteurize.

If you are bottling around 1.020 with active fermentation from simple sugars, I would check every half day for carbonation, starting right away. If the bottles gush or are overcarbonated, do not pasteurize. Open the caps, release the pressure and then pasteurize. In other words, err on the side of under carbonated with this. I foresee exploding bottles otherwise.

Edit: Also, I don't have any idea what effect pasteurizing will have on the flavor of this drink.

Another option may be PET bottles and then pasturize when properly carbed.
I've heard they can hold 2000 psi.

If you are bottling around 1.020 with active fermentation from simple sugars, I would check every half day for carbonation, starting right away. If the bottles gush or are overcarbonated, do not pasteurize. Open the caps, release the pressure and then pasteurize. In other words, err on the side of under carbonated with this. I foresee exploding bottles otherwise.

Edit: Also, I don't have any idea what effect pasteurizing will have on the flavor of this drink.

Yeah, I have anticipated exploding bottles. They are currently carbing inside a closed cooler in case they decide to become bombs. They have been in there for about 2 days and I popped one open to check, and it seemed maybe 1/3 to 1/2 carbed. I think it'll be safe to let it go for 3 or 4 more days. I think pasteurizing won't affect the flavor very much since there is no really volatile stuff in the maví. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Back