Should I pitch a Blonde Ale onto my Belgian Wit Yeast Cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 5.5 gallon batch of Belgian Wit using "WhiteLabs-Begian Wit Ale WLP400" that is 4 days in the pr.

I did starter a few days in advance and this yeast is going crazy.

I'm toying with the idea of pitching a basic Blonde Ale AG recipe on top.

Any opinons on using a Belcian Wit Yeast for a BLonde Ale?

Is the flavor overpowering?

Opinions?

I think if you take any blond, and combine it with a wit, you'll end up with a half-wit. If some bugs fall into it, that would be a nitwit. If the lighting is low in the room, you'll have a dimwit.

Try the veal, I'll be here till Thursday. Seriously folks, I kid.

Every Wit yeast I've used has had a subtle flavour, but not at all similar to a Belgian Blonde ale yeast.

BierMuncher said:
I have a 5.5 gallon batch of Belgian Wit using "WhiteLabs-Begian Wit Ale WLP400" that is 6 days in the primary.

I did starter a few days in advance and this yeast is going crazy.

I'm toying with the idea of pitching a basic Blonde Ale AG recipe on top.

Any opinons on using a Belgian Wit Yeast for a BLonde Ale?

Is the flavor overpowering?

Opinions?

I'm repitching my question here. Sorry. My ingredients are on my doorstep at home and my Wit is 24 hours from getting racked to the secondary. I'd love to hear opinions on a Wit (WLP-400) yeast cake used for a BLonde Ale.

Thanks.

To answer your question in general you have to really answer the question as to wether you want to brew to style or not. If not then the world is your oyster. If so, then you have to restrict yourself to being contained by the style's box so to speak. In this particular case it looks like you should be fine. Just keep an eye a few days out into the ferment (when it looks like the bulk of the primary is winding down) and bring your temps up to the mid to high 70's to help produce the spiciness.

zoebisch01 said:
To answer your question in general you have to really answer the question as to wether you want to brew to style or not. If not then the world is your oyster. If so, then you have to restrict yourself to being contained by the style's box so to speak. In this particular case it looks like you should be fine. Just keep an eye a few days out into the ferment (when it looks like the bulk of the primary is winding down) and bring your temps up to the mid to high 70's to help produce the spiciness.

Thanks,

I like to think outside the box. (Hell, I added quick oats to an APA).

I'm striving for a light, crisp, refreshing summer brew and I thought a light blonde ale and a wit yeast, might be a good combo...but not too "blue moon" like.

I think it could be good, but the only concern is if there isn't a lot going on with the blonde ale recipe, it could be a bit on the spicy side. Honestly, I'm curious as to how it would taste, and for that reason alone I think you should give it a shot: to satisfy my curiosity. :D

Torchiest said:
I think it could be good, but the only concern is if there isn't a lot going on with the blonde ale recipe, it could be a bit on the spicy side. Honestly, I'm curious as to how it would taste, and for that reason alone I think you should give it a shot: to satisfy my curiosity. :D
I never bet a homebrew I didn't like (though my hefe tasted like cup-o-clove).

I'll give it a try and post the results.

Signed...Guinea Pig

Back