Breweries near Philly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
In a couple of weeks I'll be going to Philly, I'm going to be there about a month and want to hit up all the good breweries and brewpubs. I'm definitely going to Yuenling on the way from Chicago. Yards, Philadelphia Brewing Co. and Flying Fish are also on the list. I also wanted to go to Twin Lakes, but $22.50 for a tour? Really? What are the other places in the Philly area that I shouldn't miss?

well i know if you are going to take a trip from pottsville pa and then head to philly i can tell you a couple of breweries that are all in driving distance and make some suggestions on multiple breweries that you can drive to in that area if you dont mind driving from brewery to brewery with a couple of samples in you also i think it's better to go west before you head east to philly

All suggestions are welcome. My record is 4 breweries in one day, good thing the wife was there to drive me home that day. Which ones did you have in mind?

http://beerme.com/region.php?97
an easy trip and a suggestion would be to contact the guys at legacy brewery see if they'd set up a private tour, they're nice guys, they're in reading which you can drive to after yuengling. then hit up iron hill brewery and sly fox brewhouse in phoenixville before driving into philly. while there look at the above address for more links to breweries and also hit up victory outside of philly

if you drive down 61 then head west you can hit up stoudts and then bubbies and Lancaster brewery ending up in Harrisburg for troegs and Appalachian brewery before getting back on the turn pike and going to philly from Harrisburg

Triumph is a great place, good food and pretty good beer. Heard there is a new one down there too, Iron City I think.

+1 to Victory... man, you are gonna love that place. from cherry hill, NJ, it's about an hour on the nose without too much traffic to downingtown where victory is. cherry hill is about 15/20 minutes east of philly, so depending on where you sit in the city, it's a nice, short drive. i would also recommend stoudt's brewey in adamstown, but i think that's a little further from philly, but not too far for a day trip.

So far the "big ones" have been mentioned. There's a couple more.

Troegs
Victory
Yuengling
Sly Fox
Weyerbacher (a bit north of Philly)
Bethleham Brew Works (a bit north of Philly)
Iron hill (in multiple places)
Bubes
Appalachian
Lancaster (in both Harrisburg and Lancaster)

Of course there are more but these are the ones I hear about all the time/have been to or go to regularly.

Definitely hit Stoudts, Victory and Sly Fox on your way from Pottsville to the city....once you get to Philadelphia proper: Nodding Head, Triumph & Yards. Then hit some of the excellent beer bars. There's more than enough excellent beer in the city that you don't have to hit all of the out of the way destinations unless you really want to drive around. There's a bunch of other breweries and brew pubs on the way across the state too if you're looking for more places to go.

Is Legacy brewing on premises at this point or did they hand everything over to the Lion?

I can't think of anything that hasn't been mentioned yet.

This is not beer related, but is something you MUST do when you visit Yards or Philadelphia Brewing Company since it's in the same area. I repeat, this is something you MUST, MUST MUST do. You have to get a sandwich at Paesano's. Screw Pat's and Geno's. Those are overrated and for tourists, and cheese steaks are passe and touristy anyways. A sandwich from Paesano's is heaven. Nothing is better scarfing down a sandwich at Paesano's for lunch then heading up to PBC or over to Yards on a nice saturday afternoon.

Or if it's post beer time, you can grab a sandwich then walk over the Piazza at Shmidts and sit in the courtyard there, which is nice. If you take that route, I'd suggest getting a bottle of beer or two at the Foodery (hundreds of bottles to choose from) and drinking it with your sandwich. But you'll need a plastic cup to put the beer in, you're technically not supposed to drink in the Piazza outside of the restaurants, but the security, to quote one of them, "don't know it's beer if it's in a plastic cup".

Can anyone from philly care to guess what neighborhood I live in ;) ?

Different bars I'd suggest in no particular order:

Eulogy
Memphis Taproom (near PBC)
South Philadelphia Taproom (never been there myself but it is very popular)
Monks Cafe (classic)
Nodding Head
Local 44
Standard Tap
700 Club
The Abbaye

Sounds like Victory is a must. I'll go there after Yuenling on my way to the city. I want to go to Straub on the way also, but I think that would be pushing it for time getting to Yuenling in time for their late tour on Fridays.

Then on that Saturday, I'm going to go to Yards. Any preference on Philadelphia Brewing Co. or Flying Fish? The wife will be there that weekend and wants to go to whichever one is better. The rest of them I'll have to do by myself, but I can't wait to go! I wish there were this many breweries around Chicago.

Thanks for the Paesano's suggestion, I'm definitely going to eat there. I hate being a tourist, but it's hard not to be one when it's your first time in a new place. Any more suggestions like that would be great.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming.

Earth bread and brewery in mount airy hasn't been mentioned yet. Excellent beer and they only serve flatbread and other small things. Very cool place.

Then on that Saturday, I'm going to go to Yards. Any preference on Philadelphia Brewing Co. or Flying Fish? The wife will be there that weekend and wants to go to whichever one is better.

That's a toss up really. On one hand I think Flying Fish has better beer, but PBC has an infinitely better brewery and tasting room, the people at PBC are also really cool. Flying Fish is also in Cherry Hill, which means you'd have to drive to Jersey (yuck).

Personally, I would do PBC if you are doing Yards on the same day. They're less than two miles from each other. But be sure to check out both of their websites for various events. For example, in a couple weeks (April 24th) is the Fishtown Shad Festival, which PBC sponsors and the brewery wasn't open for tours and tastings last year since most of the workers were at the festival pouring beer.

I also suggest doing Yards and PBC because they used to be the same company until Tom Kehoe had a falling out with the PBC people, or so the story goes. Yards moved to it's current location, keeping the name and recipes, and PBC was created at the old location. So it's kinda fun to go to Yards and then to PBC and say "well, I was just at Yards...." and see what their reaction is.

Great, thanks. My wife is an architect so we'll go to PBC, she was already commenting on their building from their website anyway.

I was just reading about Earth Bread Brewery, what a unique place. Definitely going to have to go there. My liver is going to be in great shape by the time I leave Philly.

http://beerme.com/region.php?97
an easy trip and a suggestion would be to contact the guys at legacy brewery see if they'd set up a private tour, they're nice guys, they're in reading which you can drive to after yuengling. then hit up iron hill brewery and sly fox brewhouse in phoenixville before driving into philly. while there look at the above address for more links to breweries and also hit up victory outside of philly

Legacy is closed.

stoudt's has a restaurant attached to it so you can get all their beer there just not take the tour if you're running late because of the yuengling tour. when i went they had a really good brisket sandwich. with the question about legacy i know they do their bottling out of lion's. last year they were still brewing out of reading but i know they were looking for a new place to brew because they had a sh*t relationship with the owner of the building they leased out of(the person owned the restaurant above them and wouldn't even carry their beers and bashed on the brewery).

Great, thanks. My wife is an architect so we'll go to PBC, she was already commenting on their building from their website anyway.

Yeah, PBC's building is pretty old and cool. It's got some interesting details on it from the old brewery that it used to house.

I toured Philadelphia Brewing Company this summer - it was a Saturday tour and not available all the time. I really enjoyed it.

I toured Philadelphia Brewing Company this summer - it was a Saturday tour and not available all the time. I really enjoyed it.

PBC is open for tours and tastings 12-3 on most Saturdays. Exceptions are when they are holding or attending special events. Yards is open for tours 12-4 with the last tour starting at 3. Yard's tasting room is open every day (noon to 7 m-sat, noon-4 sun). However, since you can actually buy a pint of beer at the Yards tasting room, they're a bit unclear as to whether or not they give free tastings other than Sat 12-4 (I doubt they do).

---Shameless neighborhood promotion---

The whole Fishtown/Northern Liberties section of Philadelphia is a good area to chill out at night too. There's a bunch of very good bars and restaurants right near each other. It's kinda hipstery and the "in" neighborhood, but most tourists don't venture up here. My personal suggestions...

For beer:
The Standard Tap- Consistently ranked one of the best bars in the city. It's a good gastro pub that serves only local craft beer.

The Abbaye - Good beers on tap. Food is good as well.

700 Club- I begrudgingly suggest this because it's so ****ing hipster. Regardless, it's got some really good beers on taps and a large bottle selection.

The North 3rd- Similar to the Standard Tap. Gastro-pub with good food, but the beer selection goes beyond local beer.

The North Bowl - Yes, a bowling alley. It has a surprisingly good selection of beer, so it's worth it for the bar alone, though it gets crowded on weekends. If you can't get a lane or don't want to bowl, there's some pool tables and pinball machines as well.

For a nice dinner:
Modo Mio - Arguably the best modern Italian food in the city. It's a BYO, cash only, and with a prix fixe option that's a good deal. These people own Paesano's as well. You most likely need to make a reservation a few days in advance.

KooZeeDoo - New BYO Portuguese restaurant. The food there is excellent, will also probably have to make a reservation a day or two in advance.

Bar Ferdinand - Spanish Tappas & wine bar. Restaurant is large, usually don't need to wait for a table or anything.

For breakfast:

Most of the pubs in the area offer good brunches on the weekend. But one place in this neighborhood that you should have breakfast at is Honey's. Be warned though, if you try to go there for brunch on a weekend, the wait for a table is very long.

A side note: If you want a nice dinner, Philadelphia is full of BYOs. You can get much better food for the price because money you would have spent on a bottle of wine that's been marked up 300% can be spent on quality food instead. In my experience, if you find yourself choosing between restaurants, opting for a BYO is, more often than not, the better bet.

Wow, Triumph looks nice. I was looking at Dock Street Brewing to have dinner one night. Anyone been there?

Just don't expect to be able to buy beer in a grocery store... Yet corner quick-e-marts can stock it. What the heck is up with that??

i'm not sure about philly but i know that grocery stores that sell beer where i live have to have a separate section for beer to be sold and i think they have to have a cafe area attached to that(but maybe it's just some sort of clause where there has to be seats)

i'm not sure about philly but i know that grocery stores that sell beer where i live have to have a separate section for beer to be sold and i think they have to have a cafe area attached to that(but maybe it's just some sort of clause where there has to be seats)

Some of them are figuring this out - some Wegman's are selling beer, and the new Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting. This last one (Whole Foods) is great - a dimly lit, chilled room with a good representative selection of local beers (they would need a bigger room to really cover the waterfront but they do pretty well), plus a nice variety from craft and micro brewers around the country, and a very nice selection of Belgians and a few other European beers (Philly is big on Belgians). Prices are reasonable and in line with competition. Then they have an area where you can sit and order food and sample wines and draft beers. They had Manayunk Brewery's pale ale on tap last time I was there, the first time I've seen it anywhere but at the brewery.

This will probably be the template for future grocery stores selling beer, until they bring some rationality to the beer laws in PA (maybe when I'm 100 or so).

Back