Is my Schwarzbier recipe correct?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I would like to try a lager now that the outside temperatures are finally cool enough. I would like to try to do a partial-mash, but if I need to I can do an extract with steeped grains. In any case here's the recipe.

Batch size: 3 gal.

4 oz Crystal 40L
4 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley Malt
2 oz Carafa II
1# 11oz 2 Row Base
2# 14oz Munich LME

Hallertau 1oz 60'
Hallertau 0.30 oz 20'
Hallertau 0.30 oz 0'

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013

Drop the roasted barley and the chocolate. 4 oz of Carafa III is what it takes. You do not want dark grains with husks in a Schwartzbier.

I gotta disagree. A Schwartzbier can have a distinct roasted flavor and I personally find the "dark colored pilsner" approach to be uninteresting to the point of being worthless.

While your recipe is going to put you more up front with roasted flavor than nearly all of the German examples, the dehusked Carafa only approach will put you way on the other end of the spectrum.

As a side note, you have quite a bit less roasted grain than the Jamil Zainasheff BCS recipe, which placed in the second round of the NHC.

My roommate and I make a Köstritzer clone that uses 0.5 lbs of Carafa II. It works with 4 oz of chocolate malt, too, but it's closer to a clone without it.

Back