bulk ageing in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrog

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a question about useing a keg for bulk ageing a mead I'm about to make. I'm assumeing after purging I will have to put some pressure in it to make a good seal on the lid. If so how much should I use? Since this is a still mead will I have to worrie about the CO2 getting absorbed and maybe carbing it? Thanks for your time.

Once the lid is seated, you shouldn't absolutely have to leave any pressure in it after purging - if you do the mead will absorb that CO2 and the pressure will drop anyway. Unless you leave it on the gas pressure, it won't carbonate to an appreciable degree.

I don't think it's worth getting a nitrogen tank+regulator just to bulk age 5 gallons of mead either...

Ok so sounds like once I purg and get the lid seated I can let the pressure out and and store it away till I'm ready to bottle. Thanks for the reply. Can someone go into a bit more detail about the nitrogen. Does this work better then CO2 for ageing? I realise that it might not be worth it now but maybe down the road I may consider it.

Back