What will be the effect of adding this much table sugar to the recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider

Reaction score
I just brewed a double IPA recipe with 12lbs. of LME and 1 lb. steeping grains. Last time I brewed this recipe, I didn't quite get the attenuation I wanted so on impulse, I added 1 cup of table sugar. Can someone tell me how much this will affect the final product in terms of taste and attenuation? Thanks.

higher alcohol....hopefully you boiled it to sanatize but either way hopefully your fine. You added about 10 pts of gravity according to promash. Also thats a sh*tload of LME....what was your starting gravity?

I just brewed a double IPA recipe with 12lbs. of LME and 1 lb. steeping grains. Last time I brewed this recipe, I didn't quite get the attenuation I wanted so on impulse, I added 1 cup of table sugar. Can someone tell me how much this will affect the final product in terms of taste and attenuation? Thanks.

One cup of sugar in 12 pounds won't likely do a ton. I'm thinking that it'll likely all ferment out, and you just added some potential alcohol.

What yeast are you using? Which did you use before? Are you making starters or pitching proper amounts of yeast?

It's a 5 gallon batch. I pitched a 2l starter of Wyeast 1056 in the low 60's and added a packet of rehydrated US-05. Will that amount of sugar have a significant impact on the flavor?

It's a 5 gallon batch. I pitched a 2l starter of Wyeast 1056 in the low 60's and added a packet of rehydrated US-05. Will that amount of sugar have a significant impact on the flavor?

no your just going to get more alcohol. When you use tabel sugar they can have a tendancy to leave behind off flavors and alcohol "heat"

I've had table sugar add a "cidery" taste to one of my brews, but I had half as much LME in my recipe. You should be fine, the beer may be slightly thinner bodied than it would have been, but probably not noticeable.

Back