"Beer Geeks" who don't brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I was a beer geek for a while before I started brewing. I wanted to sooner but it seemed so daunting that I was unsure where to start. Of course once I did start, it seemed silly that I had waited so long.

Might be the same for our non-brewing friends.

One thing that I would say is that they are allies. They help us keep the small craft brew places in business. The places like DFH, Sierra nevada, etc. that we get our clone recipes for. :mug:

Id be willing to bet that they don't understand us.

After all the commercial craft beer market has never been better. Pretty much any type of beer you want I could buy cheaper than I can make it and have it cold and ready to drink in an hour. Yet for some unknown reason we'd rather spend more, work for 4+ hours, and then wait a month for a beer we hope is as good as the commercially available equivalent.

I am an ahole to them and I am ok with that.

It goes something along these lines... I am sitting at the pub enjoying my Brand X beer and some geek comes in and orders Brand Y, then begins to extol the virtues of why their beer is the superior beer, the hops used, the flavors they experience and the aging process of Brand Y beer.

I listen remaining quiet as they ramble on and once they stop I simply ask, "Oh do you brew?"

If they reply no then I simply turn away and continue enjoying my beer, if they brew I usually have a convo with them about anything but beer. I brew all day and talk beer all day, when I am enjoying a beer the last thing I want to do is talk shop.

but we all used to be one. :confused:

True...some longer than others..

By the time I was getting really serious about craft beer I wanted to brew. It just took me a few years to find myself in a less transient lifestyle to get set up for brewing.

I'm more talking about the uber beer geeks who treat drinking beer like collecting comic books. Hounding shops for special releases, traveling all over the country to go to breweries, and dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars a year shipping trades.

Even more weird are those who brew but don't drink... And I have to agree with the_trout that buying good craft beer would be so much easier. Not sure about the "cheaper" part though once the equipment has amortized.

EDIT: I actually never appreciated beer as much as I do now that I brew myself. Now I pay much more attention to what style of beer I buy, how the flavor is, the aroma etc. Homebrewing has made me much pickier!

It goes something along these lines... I am sitting at the pub enjoying my Brand X beer and some geek comes in and orders Brand Y, then begins to extol the virtues of why their beer is the superior beer, the hops used, the flavors they experience and the aging process of Brand Y beer.

This is exactly the guy I'm talking about...their status is derived from the beers they have tasted and how much nonsense they can spout off about how it's made.

"Yeah that's great buddy, how about you go make some"....Oh...you can't....

Even more weird are those who brew but don't drink... And I have to agree with the_trout that buying good craft beer would be so much easier. Not sure about the "cheaper" part though once the equipment has amortized.

EDIT: I actually never appreciated beer as much as I do now that I brew myself. Now I pay much more attention to what style of beer I buy, how the flavor is, the aroma etc. Homebrewing has made me much pickier!

Same here. I love belgian strong ales. I used to just drink it. Now, I ponder the banana and clove notes and explain to friends how they come to be and how you want them in some styles but definitely not in others. :ban:

^^^This, homebrewing beer has broadened my horizons. Before I would exclude a whole beer style based on trying one brewery's brand, now I know how sacrelig that is knowing the many different creative things people can do to drastically change the taste, feel, and aromas of beers in the same style category. For my personal experience I am mostly talking about belgians, barleywines, meads, etc., but the same goes for any style of beer.

I am an ahole to them and I am ok with that.

I listen remaining quiet as they ramble on and once they stop I simply ask, "Oh do you brew?"

If they reply no then I simply turn away and continue enjoying my beer, if they brew I usually have a convo with them about anything but beer. I brew all day and talk beer all day, when I am enjoying a beer the last thing I want to do is talk shop.

Do you work at a brewhouse/ brewery? I enjoy talking about my HOBBY with others that share the same hobby. I could totally understand your point if that is your occupation, I hate shop talk with my buddies outside work as well. But, seeing as this is my hobby that I happen to love I like talking about it with those who can relate.

For me I don't hate on those people that don't know what they're talking about (usually my friends) I try to educate them to the best of my knowledge, which is the same I would hope somebody would do for me if I were throwing false info out there. :mug:

Do you work at a brewhouse/ brewery? I enjoy talking about my HOBBY with others that share the same hobby. I could totally understand your point if that is your occupation, I hate shop talk with my buddies outside work as well. But, seeing as this is my hobby that I happen to love I like talking about it with those who can relate.

For me I don't hate on those people that don't know what they're talking about (usually my friends) I try to educate them to the best of my knowledge, which is the same I would hope somebody would do for me if I were throwing false info out there. :mug:

I do work as a brewer and very much enjoy talking shop with people over a beer but there is just a certain type I refuse to discuss beer with because it only reinforces their know-it-all persona.

I am not a master brewer and very well may never be, so what I share and discuss is what I have gained through experience of doing which is more than most but far less than others. I am not the officianado I wish I was, but even if I was I would just want to enjoy my beer and keep my opinion to myself unless someone asks for it.

I do work as a brewer and very much enjoy talking shop with people over a beer but there is just a certain type I refuse to discuss beer with because it only reinforces their know-it-all persona.

I am not a master brewer and very well may never be, so what I share and discuss is what I have gained through experience of doing which is more than most but far less than others. I am not the officianado I wish I was, but even if I was I would just want to enjoy my beer and keep my opinion to myself unless someone asks for it.

I gotcha, I deal with quite a bit know-it-all persona on a day to day basis, and the best things to do is turn your cheek. At least you get to go to work everyday doing something you enjoy.

I admit I've laughed pretty loudly at some of the reviews on Beer Advocate. Some of these folks are the ones I think of as self professed "beer geeks".

Brewing has made me much more appreciative of the styles of beer and their inherent characteristics. Still lots of learning to do. Ok, now I'm thirsty :D .

I gotcha, I deal with quite a bit know-it-all persona on a day to day basis, and the best things to do is turn your cheek. At least you get to go to work everyday doing something you enjoy.

Every line of work has them

As a photographer I ran into them daily
When I worked on diesel trucks everyone owned a 1,000hp Cummins that got 27mpg
When I raced 1/4 mile everyone had a 9 second car...but it was torn down right now.
When I raced road course everyone had a car that pulled 140 through chicanes without cutting the rumble.

I used to argue with them and show them their ignorance but as I have grown older I have learned it just isn't worth it anymore so you nod and smile as you let them tell their story.

i love to eat...i don't really enjoy cooking.
i love music...i can't really play any instruments.
i don't tend to worry about what others do (or don't do).

When I raced 1/4 mile everyone had a 9 second car...but it was torn down right now.
QUOTE]

This one especially, i cant tell you how many times I have heard that one. Yes, I have to agree that it is not worth the breath or time to argue/discuss especially when most times it ends in agreeing to disagree. :D

i love to eat...i don't really enjoy cooking.
i love music...i can't really play any instruments.
i don't tend to worry about what others do (or don't do).

Good points, I suppose. It's just another level of involvement in the things you do...
I love music and also play drums and guitar. I love food, also enjoy cooking. Love beer, love brewing...
I guess, I feel that if you truly love music, food, or beer, why not take the time to increase your level of understanding as to what go into those things that you love? Surely you must do something that increases your level of understand in things.
Some things aren't practical for most people. For instance, you love movies, you probably aren't going to go out and produce/direct/act in movies unless you do cheesy public access movies.

I admit I've laughed pretty loudly at some of the reviews on Beer Advocate. Some of these folks are the ones I think of as self professed "beer geeks".

Brewing has made me much more appreciative of the styles of beer and their inherent characteristics. Still lots of learning to do. Ok, now I'm thirsty :D .
I've found reviews to be quite hilarious as well, those that call themselves "tickers". People that don't drink the same beer twice, ever, because "there's so much beer out there to try". Smile and nod, as Nightshade says, it's not worth it. Good for a laugh though.

I love great food- but I'm not a chef.

I love beautiful furniture- but I'm not a woodworker.

I love driving a nice car- but I'm not an autoworker.

I love going to museums- but I'm not an artist.

I think I can have intelligent conversions about food, period furniture, quality cars, as well as Rodin.

I think thing being able to brew means that you corner the market on being into beer.

Honestly, at the end of my 2 batch brew day yesterday when it was dark out and I had just racked the second batch to the fermenter but still had the task of cleaning the brewpot, hoses, pump, etc. ahead of me...I thought about how much easier it would be to just buy some damn beer in the store. I don't begrudge others not wanting to put the work in. On the other hand, there is something completely satisfying about drinking a beer that tastes great that you created all by yourself.

but we all used to be one. :confused:

Not at all.

I was a basic beer drinker before I started brewing. Standards were Newcastle, Brooklyn and Heineken. Wife bought me a beginners brewkit from midwest supplies (IIPA), and I started to appreciate beer from that point on. Until then, I thought IPAs were too bitter (always had drank them from the bottle). It wasn't until 2+ years into brewing that I started appreciating Belgian beer. Until then, I thought they were too "perky".

I guess my point is that not all homebrewers are beer geeks.

If by beer geeks you mean the guys who sit next to you in the bar and tell you that the beer they are drinking is better than yours, I don't think it matters if they brew or not, they are still bloody annoying...

Good beer is all a matter of opinion, everyone likes something different so just stfu and drink what ever you like! :rockin:

I don't have a problem with them. I mean, I'm not a rancher, but I know if my steak is crappy. I'm not a tailor, but I've had pants that don't fit me properly. I'm not a auto mechanic but . . .

Every line of work has them

As a photographer I ran into them daily
When I worked on diesel trucks everyone owned a 1,000hp Cummins that got 27mpg
When I raced road course everyone had a car that pulled 140 through chicanes without cutting the rumble.

This is what I was thinking. The folks some are describing may just be arrogant idiots about lots of stuff. I've got a number of friends who don't brew but are very knowledgeable about beer. They tend to be quite interested in my opinions knowing that I brew, but I'm just as interested in their opinions and some give me really good feedback on my brews. If they want to geek out trying as many different beers as they can get their hands on, so what? That's their hobby. I don't look down on them because they don't feel inclined to try brewing themselves. Brewing has greatly increased my own knowledge and ability to evaluate beers, but I certainly don't think you need to be a brewer in order to legitimately review a beer.

In fact, I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson was never a brewer. I'd say he was the ultimate beer geek.

Sorry if off topic, but speaking of his geekiness... there's a pretty funny clip at the bottom of this article. Now tell me that wasn't a beer geek all homebrewers could appreciate.
:mug:

You can't be a real beer geek unless you brew! Anyone can buy beer and post on Beer Advocate. It takes a lot of dedication to brew beer well!

I like the beer geeks that say all lagers taste like bud light. Or all lagers are crap OR they're more hardcore into beer mastery that they only drink IIPA's and that only TRUE beer drinkers drink only IPA and IIPA (said by a friend of mine)

I like the beer geeks that say all lagers taste like bud light. Or all lagers are crap OR they're more hardcore into beer mastery that they only drink IIPA's and that only TRUE beer drinkers drink only IPA and IIPA (said by a friend of mine)

It could not agree with this sentiment any more whole heartedly. My go to drinking buddy is "that guy". I seriously want to punch him in the face sometimes.

It could not agree with this sentiment any more whole heartedly. My go to drinking buddy is "that guy". I seriously want to punch him in the face sometimes.

LOL last time I was talking to the same friend about Saison he said that Saisons are great because the style demands high abv. I said that I could see where he would think that since American saison tend to be made at higher abv... and he said uh I think saison is from europe

lol

You all still go on Beer Advocate? I stopped using that site because of some of the reviews; do we really need to know where you were and how much the pint was...

Not all beer geeks are bad just the ones that like to talk about the beer with out being asked.

What would your friend think of my TRIPLE IPA!? haha (sorry I had to)

I'm the same way, albeit I tend to keep the dialogue in my head unless someone asks me explicitly (like my friends who sample my homebrew). I can't stand it either, but I cut them slack because I'm trying to work on my patience, lol :cross:

You all still go on Beer Advocate? I stopped using that site because of some of the reviews; do we really need to know where you were and how much the pint was...

Not all beer geeks are bad just the ones that like to talk about the beer with out being asked.

No, I quit going there after they got the new website a year or so ago. Tired of all the hype about beers, people talking about WHALES, and all the ridiculous reviews and tickers. Seriously people...I guess they have to nerd out about something, beer isn't a bad thing...

I was pretty much like them before I started brewing. I made wine in my youth,& beer was for those times with my friends,bbq & wine for being with my girlfriend/wife or dinner. And like them I didn't like dark beer too much,save for the occasional guiness. I knew they weren't much on ABV,however. It was that burnt roasty french roast coffee made into beer sort of flavor that was the "strong" bit to me/us. When imports & some crafts started showing up on tap,we'd try them here & there. And IPA's?...What in the blue F did they do to this poor beer?!@#^%&*!@# Yuk. Tastes like cat a$$!
Then I got my Microbrew kit. All those notions slowly started going out the window as greater understanding of these particular muses came upon me. New gadgets coming in with them as more $$ started flying out that self same window with said notions. The muses moved into my head & refuse to leave. But I like it,I like iiiit!:ban::mug::ban:

Well, I was never that guy. I didn't know squat about beer, and happily admitted it before I started brewing. I didn't even drink beer except to be social, since the best beer I knew was Michelob or Heineken. Honestly, if I had to limit myself to BMC beer, I'd quit drinking beer again. I brewed a batch because I could, and I love learning new stuff. The same reason as I made a batch of soap after reading Yooper's post about that. It turned out ok, but I wanted to learn more so I made a couple more batches, and started sampling different styles of commercial beers, and found out I actually like some beers a lot.

Now I'm not a know it all, but I'm a know a little. I mostly keep my mouth shut about it unless someone asks. If someone else wants to spout off about how much they know, I always listen. You can't learn anything without listening, and some of them will actually know more than you. All of them know something you don't, even if it's just what they like.

I say drink what you like, and let others do the same.

If someone really likes Bud Light, I say, enjoy!

If someone wants to extol the virtues of a variety of craft beers, but isn't a fellow brewer, hey, enjoy!

My wife thinks my palette is wholly unsophisticated because I actually like the taste of a McDonald's hamburger... gasp! Of course true hamburger aficionados who spend time perfecting the exact proper blend of seasoning and grilling temperature and time on their outdoor grill or barbecue must think I am simply uneducated and like the taste of McDonald's hamburgers out of sheer and utter ignorance.

I say drink what you like, even if it's (gasp!) Bud Light. It's all beer, and beer was meant to be enjoyed.

I'm more talking about the uber beer geeks who treat drinking beer like collecting comic books. Hounding shops for special releases, traveling all over the country to go to breweries, and dropping hundreds or thousands of dollars a year shipping trades.

What does that have to do with brewing? The way I see it, a beer geek is a beer geek, brewer or not.

What about brewers that focus more on their label then their beer ahahahahahahaha

Back