Method for making lager kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasebrooker

Reaction score
I know that the method of brewing lager is different from that of Ale but I have a 1 tin lager kit, can I just make it the same as I make ale?

First check out what yeast is included in your kit. A number of "lager" kits use ale yeast, so really your just making an ale and you don't need to change anything. If its actually lager yeast, you need much cooler fermentation temps and a longer fermentation time. Did the kit come with instructions? If so, what does it say?

Sorry for the late reply. The instructions were exactly the same as for an ale kit so I'm guessing the yeast is ale yeast. Pitched the yeast at 34 degrees C which I think may have a been a touch too warm so I may need to learn how to re-start a fermentation :0p

34 C is really warm. Normally you should be shooting for 18-20. Your fermentation probably went really quickly. Check your gravity and see if you've hit your FG before pitching more yeast. The problem now won't be so much about whether or not the fermentation is done, but by off flavors from the high temp fermentation, which you won't be an le to do much about.

Back