How much of a difference...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS today and used their wall-o-grains for the first time today. Unbeknownst to me, their scale does not measure in oz's like the one I have at home does. So instead of getting 4oz of Black, 4oz Chocolate, and 8oz of Caramel 120L (1lb total) I ended up with 6.4oz, 6.4oz and 12.8oz (1.6lbs total) of grains, respectively. Could I just mix them all up really well and dump .6lbs of grain and have it all work out or should I just go back and re-buy the exact amount? Or, could I just use all 1.6lbs of grains, knowing that the ratio's are correct. For reference, these will be used as steeping grains in a Porter recipe.

Full [correct] recipe:
6lb Dark malt extract
3.3lb light malt extract
4oz black malt
4oz chocolate malt
8oz Caramel 120L grains
1.5oz tettnang hops (using 2oz)
1oz willamette hops (substituting Fuggle hops here)

Yes. You could just remove .6 lbs of grain after mixing them. Your ratios are the same.

It will make a difference but not a lot just throw em in and see what happens
My guess is beer will happen, but I my be wrong

haha, two different responses. I guess I'll just remove a little bit, maybe .3lbs, and throw the rest in.

Well both responses are correct.

If you remove 0.6 lb from a well-blended mix of the grains, you'll end up with 1 lb that contains the the .25/.25/.5 quantities you wanted.

And if you just dump everything in, the beer will be a little bigger and a little darker, but it'll still be beer, and will probably be pretty good (if the original one would have been...). It will definitely be a different product than what you were originally aiming for.

So it's really up to you.

Out of curiosity, how in the heck did you get such weird amounts? "not measuring in ounces" doesn't seem to explain that to me...

Back