For those who cross the line this Thanksgiving

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Every Thanksgiving people around the country find themselves having crossed that fine line of having eaten too much. Here is a Public Service Announcement to help with the aftermath.

Find yourself a bottle of one these Herbal Digestives. They may taste like Robatussin, but 10 minutes after 1 shot, life is much better. They are for medicinal purposes, so don't go making long drinks or mixing with Red Bull.

Trust me, after a fine meal, this stuff rocks!

img10161276665.jpeg

If you can't find Fernet Branca, then Averna is the next best thing.

averna1.jpg

If you can't find Averna, then Ramozatti

ramazzotti.jpg

If all else fails, then get a bottle of Jagermeister. It is an herbal digestive.

On the German bottles, it says, "Nach dem Essen" which means After the Meal.

Jagermeister_bottle.jpg

That's just because they are kreuterliqor...herb brews...many Ami's (Americans) don't know how to drink this stuff...thinking shots are the way to go...when used properly it is more like self-help medicine than something to get blitzed from...;)

Don't forget Underberg...

homebrewer_99 said:
That's just because they are kreuterliqor...herb brews...many Ami's (Americans) don't know how to drink this stuff...thinking shots are the way to go...when used properly it is more like self-help medicine than something to get blitzed from...;)

Don't forget Underberg...

So true. Medicinal use only. Ahh Underberg.

underberg-lg.jpg

Tell me about the Underberg. I somehow ended up with a small paper wrapped bottle of that stuff when I was a teenager taking HS German. I wasn't a big drinker back then (I've gotten over that) and so I kept the bottle for years. Somewhere along the way i lost it. Well a few winters ago SWMBO and I went to the Italian ALps skiing and took a day trip to Austria. I saw a display of those at the checkout counter of a store and grabbed one. It is sitting in a hutch in the dining room still. Is it booze? Is it a digestif? Will it make me run faster and jump higher and make Mr Happy do gymnastic's? Fill me in on this stuff please.
PTN

Yes the old fernet branca thats a classic.
Me and my buds always end a night out with a shot of those!

SWMBO's family got me into Jaeger as a digestive. I usually have some, warm, at the end of the night on Christmas...

I did find the first one in the liquor store. ~$25. I didn't pick it up, yet but it seems like a good thing to have on hand.

Brian,

Next time we get together, you'll have to try this.

shop_3_1.jpg

We picked it up in Dusseldorf where it's made, but it looks like it can be found in the States too. I'm not a fan of Jaeger, it taste way too much like cough syrup. This however I like quite a bit. Has a nice mild clove taste along all of the other herbs and spices. Makes a very fine after dinner stomach calmer

pjj2ba said:
Brian,

Next time we get together, you'll have to try this.

shop_3_1.jpg

We picked it up in Dusseldorf where it's made, but it looks like it can be found in the States too. I'm not a fan of Jaeger, it taste way too much like cough syrup. This however I like quite a bit. Has a nice mild clove taste along all of the other herbs and spices. Makes a very fine after dinner stomach calmer

Cool Phil! Looks and sounds interesting :D

So I'm sitting here sipping on a glass of Fernet Branca, and I decided to search for it here on the forums to see if it was mentioned by anyone (happy to see that it was). As a side note, has anyone tried using anything herbal such as this as a beer additive in secondary (just a small amount to add some complexity)?

Back