burner size for a 20gallon pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frothy3001

Reaction score
Hi Fellow brewers,

Question on burner to pot ratio.

I brewed a maiden brew in a 20g brewpot. 17 gallon of wort preboil. I used a turkey burner for this mission. It took forever to get up to boil. I know its alot of wort to boil. Also i did my mash in this pot, using the blichman false floor. had a burnt crust when i was in the middle of the pot under the false floor, 6 inches in diameter, sucked. I have created a toasted ale as a consequence. smells great but a slight taste of ummmm toastiness.
Now i am new to this and i apologize if this is a silly question. But would a bigger burner size help get to a boil quicker and would it have prevented the burn from the mash.(took me 2 hours to clean) I should have recirculated more at the beginning i realized. I feel like i know the answer is yes but i would like your expert opinions please. thank you so much for your help.

thank you, that is the one i was looking at. I bought a 20g pot and used a burner for a turkey burner. Yes it did leave some burnt mash on the bottom of the pot, and took way to long to boil 16 gallons of wort. So im in the hunt for a new burner. By the way, that batch was dubbed smoked ale. You could taste the slight toasted mash from the burn. Not ideal but was drinkable for sure. Whats the difference with that classic burner and say these ones.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-brewing-equipment/burners/blichmann-floor-burner.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-brewing-equipment/burners/bayou-cooker-burner-and-stand.html

the second link looks like the same burner really.

so the bayou shown on northern brewer is the same as the Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker on amazon if im reading you correct. Sounds like a good deal. Will be ordering one soon.

Get the blichmann if you can afford it. You will never have to buy another again. I love mine even though it is expensive.

you could always make a custom burner....Our brew club has a 100 gallon kettle we do group brews on...and one of our members built this awesome stand and custom burner for it....two propane tanks feed into this plus an air tank to feed it oxygen...it got 100 gallons boiling in 20 minutes....

burner.jpg

burner2.jpg

Back