krausen Ring Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apollner

Reaction score
Any advice is appreciated.

I just took a hydro reading on a porter I brewed in a 5 gallon plastic fermenter. It had been fermenting for a full week. When I opened it up to get a beer sample, I noticed what I consider to be a not very significantly large krausen ring in the bucket. I estimate it to be about 1.5 inches. My first batch ever, I had like 3 or 4 inches.

As far as you guys know, as much more experienced homebrewers that you all are, is this any indication of the quality of my brew or the fermentation of the beer or in general, should I be worried or disappointed?

Again, thanks in advance. I appreciate your feedback and information.

-Ap

Krausen rings in my fermenters are never consistent in size, even with the same yeast, pitching rate, ferm temps, and grain bill. As long as there's signs that the beer fermented I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thanks PHenry!

I'm was quite concerned because this is like my 5th batch of beer and all previous have been pretty bad. In my opinion, this is mostly due to not taking sanitation as seriously as I should. This time I was very careful with sanitation and used Starsan etc....... So, when I saw how small the fermentation ring was, I was quite concerned.

Thanks again!

Ap

Krausen size doesn't mean anything. All that matters is gravity readings and taste..

Back