"Apartment" sized kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcook73

Reaction score
Alright ..
I'm finally done (for now ..plan on another tap or two in the future)
This is my almost disaster turned good
I'll post pics and a little about each as I go
What I did:
I wanted to find an old fridge to convert, but my wife didnt' like any of the ones I tracked down ..so she bought me a new appartment sized, freezer on top fridge (I think it's 14 or 15 cubic feet). It stands about 5 1/2 feet tall. I initially thought I'd put the faucet in the fridge door and all would work out fine ..after measuring and eyeballing everything ..it turned out that the taps would be WAY too low. So I decided, without too much thinking, to drill a hole into the freezer, then run the faucet out the freezer door. That is where I ran into the problem ..DUH ..freezers freeze things.
OK ..I'll put the pics up now and explain what I did:

Here's the fridge - pre damage (if you look close, you'll see how low the faucet would've been had I put it in the door)
prebuild.jpg

Shelf cut to fit into the pre fab'd slots
shelf2.jpg

Measured and marked (did this for 2 faucets, but only installed 1 for now)freezer door
marked.jpg

Hole drilled - inside and out
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/rcook73/1inchhole.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l630/rcook73/insidethedoor.jpg

1/2" hole into freezer (too late to go back now!!) ..top and bottom
halfinchholeintofreezer.jpg

halfinchholefrombottom.jpg

Freezer actually works ..so I put this styrofoam box to "fool the freezer"
styro1.jpg

Faucet installed (not very proud of the tap handle, but it works for now)
tap1.jpg

Keg and a few others in place
keg.jpg

The beer doesn't freeze in the freezer, I keep the fridge set at about 35-40, and the freezer turned as warm as it'll go. there's not too much line going through the freezer.

Side note ...when setting up the faucet ..make sure you're able to tighten it onto the shank ..I didn't tighten it prior to installing it through the door, and didn't get it tight. when I attached the beer line to the keg ..I got an instant niagra falls ..took me about an hour of licking beer off the floor to clean it up (can't let it go to waste ..right?)(just kidding ..I made my wife lick it up off the floor, while I drank one out of my "RED SOLO cup" ...)

I like the freezer trickery! I have used various chest freezers for a few years and have always thought a fridge has advantages such as easier loading, frost free etc. Soes the freezer stay cold? Perhaps a hole or vent in the freezer foam box would chill that area as well bo cold storage and keep the lines and shanks chilled.

What are the inside dimensions of the fridge?

the freezer stays at around 25 degrees ..and the fridge is at about 40
so far ..no frozen beer in the lines

The inside "usable" dimensions are 24" wide x 24" deep x 31" tall
I think it would fit 3 corny kegs + the CO2 tank pretty easy
(plus a little room in the door and around the kegs for a few bottles)

Thanks rcook, that is a nice unit, I would guess 4 soda kegs and a co2 tank. I'm tempeted to start hunting C'list for a similiar unit. If it would hold 4 sanke 1/4 kegs, I'd be very happy.

Back