# of standard beers at a pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I'm curious what you think a good number is for a standard lineup at a brew pub. We're trying to decide how many beers will be full time, always available styles. We're in a small town and i think the maximum will be 4. We should have between 8-10 total beers available at any one time.

Not sure yet on the full time styles, but probably something like:

Bohemian Pils
American IPA
Robust Porter
ESB

And then always at least 4 or 5 rotating brews (seasonals)

I also like the idea of having a Belgian tap. So even if you haven't been to the pub for a month, you know that they always have a good Belgian brewed in house and it just changes based on the time of year.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions on this.

Full-time, 4. Should be a beer that girls will order, one that is light (4% abv or so), and the rest are just fan favourites.

The rest are where things get interesting. I'd say 4-6 more of whatever's coming out of the basement would be a good number.

So 8-10 beers total, with 4 of them being available all the time. Then get some kick-ass french fries to eat with it all, and you're laughing all the way to the bank!

When you start why not go with a good variety of 8-10 beers that aren't seasonal. Then make a decision based on what your customers buy.

And then add in the seasonal beers after you get your research in.

Around here there is a local brewery that you pretty much have to have on tap. Its not great beer, but even our pub that keeps an Ommegang on tap all year keeps it on tap. Why? Thats what enough customers want to warrant it.

When you start why not go with a good variety of 8-10 beers that aren't seasonal. Then make a decision based on what your customers buy.

And then add in the seasonal beers after you get your research in.

Around here there is a local brewery that you pretty much have to have on tap. Its not great beer, but even our pub that keeps an Ommegang on tap all year keeps it on tap. Why? Thats what enough customers want to warrant it.

I thought of this as well and it's a good one. Thanks for the input.

Most local brewpubs I've seen offer a few pretty standard categories:

1. Wheat. Clear or unfiltered, whatever.
2. IPA
3. Amber
4. Brown
5. Stout

Definitely check out the market for your location before making this decision, you might be surprised. While most brewpubs have some sort of "light" offering as their flagship beer, I've been to one that served a dopplebock year round and another that keeps a oatmeal stout on tap at all times.

I think 4 is the minimum. A stought, a pale, and a couple in between. Then your rotational. Over time I'm sure you'll get to 6 full time on tap, and maybe rotate out if you do a new blonde ale that replaces the pale or light ale due to customer choice.

I'd get your standard 4 for when you open, and leave it for customer choice to pick the next 2. Maybe keep 2 taps open for "customer choice" and keep 2 open for experiments.

Need to have:

1) Cream
2) Brown
3) Amber
4) Pale
5) IPA
6) Porter
7) Stout
I'd say pretty close to this.

1) should be a cream or blonde. Not crazy about either style, but from a business standpoint one of them should be there.
2) While browns are one of my favorite styles, I'd probably go with a red for sales, and bring the brown in seasonally.
3-5) should all be there.
6-7)You could probably do a porter or stout and be fine, both would be great, but you could probably get away with just 1 of them.

1) should be a cream or blonde. Not crazy about either style, but from a business standpoint one of them should be there.
2) While browns are one of my favorite styles, I'd probably go with a red for sales, and bring the brown in seasonally.
6-7)You could probably do a porter or stout and be fine, both would be great, but you could probably get away with just 1 of them.

I agree with your changes.

You could do:

1) Cream, Blonde or Hefe
2) Brown, Amber or Red
3) Pale
4) IPA
5) Porter or Stout

Well in PA I would think Prima Pils would be a good choice instead of the blonde or cream ale. It's a bit more bitter, but it's a local brew and yellow and fizzy.

I like the have your customer base choose by what sells, but......there are expectations from teh first timers at the pub.

That said, I would have four flagship beers. A West Coast Pale or IPA, and Amber, Porter or Stout and a list of seasonals on tap #4. Definately a Fresh hop or Hop Harvest IPA this time of year. If you do an American Wheat or a Raspberry American Wheat expect to have to have it available for the ladies full time. Now you are up to four flagship brews and tap#5 as your seasonal.

Do a special beer for the Holidays, one for the 4th of July, one for Labor Day, it is essential you have something special on tap for Election Day every four years...maybe a barleywine!!

Just my thoughts.......

Back