6-row for anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
Looking at various recipes and I don't see a whole lot of 6-row being used as the sole base malt. Could just be the styles I am looking at, but why is everything almost all 2-row (maybe a pound or 2 of 6-row at most)? What would happen if I used 6-row instead of 2-row in a Porter? I see the descriptions often say 'less grainy', but why does no one use it?

Thanks for what I am sure is an obvious answer to most of you. :)

Greg

The flavor of 6-row is generally considered inferior to 2-row. But, it contains more enzymes, which is why a lot of the big brewers will use it to help convert all of the adjuncts (rice, corn, etc.) that they use.

Great article PBR.
I've done an Oatmeal partial mash using 6-row. I may have to do something lighter just to see if I can tell a difference. It seems the differences are small and there is little price difference either so there is probably no real point to it. Still it may improve the convert time and runoff when using lots of flaked adjuncts.
Craig

the_bird said:
The flavor of 6-row is generally considered inferior to 2-row. But, it contains more enzymes, which is why a lot of the big brewers will use it to help convert all of the adjuncts (rice, corn, etc.) that they use.

Is your avatar Spinal Tap? nice...

Back