Bottle sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
What is the best way to sanitize the bottles before bottling. I will not use a dish washer. When I clean by beer bottles I dissolve B-Bright in the sink, brush cean and hot water rinse. What would be the best to clean wine bottles.Potassium Metabisulphate?

What would be the best steps, The same as I do with beer bottles. I am looking for a quick, efficent, clean way to do so. I do have a bottle driying rack.

Thanks for the help.

Star*San for the win! I fill my bottling bucket with five gallons of Star*San and water, and siphon it into my bottles - sanitizing everything I need for the bottling at once.

Mind, that's just for sanitizing. If you have goop in your bottles, or things crusted to the bottom, I've heard Oxyclean mentioned favorably on this and other forums. A nice long soak might be just what it needs.

No. Star san is a rinseless foam sanitizer. Fill the bottles with star san then empty back into the bucket or whatever. Star san can be reused(just check out the beer-side of the forum for more info on Star san).

Let them dry until most of the foam is gone and then fill.

DON'T FEAR THE FOAM.

one of the great purchases for sanitation is the Sanitizer Injector like the one found here

Sanitizer Injector | MoreBeer

It fits right on top of a bottle tree like found here.

Rotating Bottle Tree (45 Bottle) | MoreBeer

mix up just a little bit of StarSan or Iodine no rinse sanitizer such as found here

IO Star Iodine Sanitizer 32 oz | MoreBeer

Star San HB High Foam Acid Anionic Cleaner & Final Rinse (8 oz) | MoreBeer

i make up about 4 or 5 cups of sanitizer and it will sanitize 50ish 1L bottles twice with out any issues.

I just pour the sanitizer in the the bowl at the top and then spray the inside of the bottle 3 or 4 times, once through all the bottles(note it only needs 30 seconds contact to sanitize(two minutes is an FDA rule(its done in 30 seconds))) and then i run them through again, and still have a lot of sanitizer left. Never had any issues with with an infection.

I fill my bottling bucket with Idophor and put my clean bottles in that. I can fit about 18 bottles in it, let them sit for 5-10 min, then drain them back into the bucket and set upside down in the case, or on your drying rack.

I bought the injector and Potassium Metabisulphate from the local wine store. He did not have star san. He did say that he uses this all the time with no problem. My next question is what would be a good sanitizer for bottling beer. I have used B-Bright. I was told this is a cleaner not a sanitizer.

Thanks for your help

again, star-san. star-san star-san star-san. its the bees knees of santizers. if your LHBS doesn't carry it, ask them to, or order it online (though the store is foolish not to carry star-san).

Back