Note to Self from Bottling Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I FEEL you bro. I'm bottling tomorrow, and it'll be the first time that I use my newest toy. Dig this - I'd been splashing my beer into a bottling bucket (aerating the f*ck out of it) and waiting for the yeast to settle before bottling out of the bucket. How lame is that?

Now, all I need is a bottle tree and a bottle filler and a bottle washer and a kegging system..... :D

Dragonfly said:
Now, all I need is a bottle tree and a bottle filler and a bottle washer and a kegging system..... :D

And a Chest freezer with an external controller. Since your wishin might as well throw in a good lookin waitress with hooters too! :D

Dragonfly said:
Don't know what I would have done without the bottle filler, but the racks in your dishwasher make a perfectly good bottle tree IMHO :cool:

Dragonfly said:
lol I FEEL you bro. I'm bottling tomorrow, and it'll be the first time that I use my newest toy. Dig this - I'd been splashing my beer into a bottling bucket (aerating the f*ck out of it) and waiting for the yeast to settle before bottling out of the bucket. How lame is that?
I wish I had had the good sense to let things settle a bit, because I know I shook things up some, not to mention dipping the racking cane into the yeast cake a couple of times while I was trying to do that contortionist act.

Sudster said:
Since your wishin might as well throw in a good lookin waitress with hooters too! :D

Having been married 20+ years, and having already passed the half century mark, I think that I can finally, and honestly asK "What am I supposed to do with that?" :D

Why do you need an Auto-shiphon? Buy a carboy hood (cap) then you just blow in one tube and the beer flows out of the racking cane. They are only two and a half bucks. If makes transfering beer much easier. Of course I'm assuming that you have glass and have graduated from the plastic fermenters.
You guys make me feel good. I have a kegging system, a chest freezer with temp control, and I just got a 15 gallon pot. But I would like to have more kegs. I only have 3.

beergod35 said:
Why do you need an Auto-shiphon? Buy a carboy hood (cap) then you just blow in one tube and the beer flows out of the racking cane. They are only two and a half bucks. If makes transfering beer much easier. Of course I'm assuming that you have glass and have graduated from the plastic fermenters.

That seems like a pretty good tip, and I was fixin to move up to a glass primary anyway, but, how does that help me with going from the priming bucket to bottles? :confused: It's that three step manuever trying to get the bottle wand hooked up to the tubing hooked up to the racking cane that had me playing twister with myself (and not in a good way). :D

get a bucket with a spigot on it. i bottle right from the spigot on the bottling bucket. so i transfer three times... pot to primary, primary to secondary, secodnary to bottling bucket, bottle your beer. the little bottling wand i've never used... never used an autosyphon or the cap, just a cane and some tubing.

Ah-hah! A bucket with a spigot. That makes sense.

But you say you've never used a cap either? So how do you get the siphon started?

Sudster said:
And a Chest freezer with an external controller. Since your wishin might as well throw in a good lookin waitress with hooters too! :D

Yea - I've got a good lookin' waitress w/out hooters, but I 'm lookin to upgrade, it's like 3rd on my priority list behind gettin a wort chiller and a few more carboys ;)

El Pistolero said:
Don't know what I would have done without the bottle filler, but the racks in your dishwasher make a perfectly good bottle tree IMHO

That's a good idea man, I'm definitely gonna try that next time. And in some other post where you reccommended having the bucket over the dishwasher & bottling with the door open - ingenious!

i start the syphon with gravity and me mouth..

*gasp* i know, i'm a horrible and unsanitary brewer, but it works, and i've not gotten any nasties yet... ;)

DeRoux's Broux said:
i do too. take a good swig/gargle of vodka before you siphon. it kills all the buggars!

When showing off my brewing setup, (not really a setup, more like a collection of buckets, carboys, brew kettles and hoses) I always show my guests the bottle of Everclear that I use to sanitize caps and flame bottle necks with. They always assume I turn to it as "inspriation." :D

I love the autosiphon, and the carboy cap works well too. I also really appreciate whoever here said that when draining the carboy, you should stick a racking cane or hose into the neck of the carboy to speed it's draining. It sure beats holding the thing for 90 seconds or so while it makes the water cooler, "Glug, glug, glug" sounds.

You are a "Real Man of Genius!"

t1master said:
i start the syphon with gravity and me mouth..

*gasp* i know, i'm a horrible and unsanitary brewer, but it works, and i've not gotten any nasties yet... ;)

Ok I could see doing that, but it raises another picky little question. Going from the primary to secondary, I've got this curved tube that I've got to quickly get to the bottom of the carboy without any splashing, after the siphon has already started. Isn't that going to cause an excessive amount of splashing and risk oxygenation? Or am I being way too picky about that.? :confused:

you just use the racking cane attached to the siphon tubing (racking cane in the primary). start your siphon and drop the tubing into the carboy. no splashing, just a nice swirling motion as it fills up......

I was wondering about siphone starting! I knew that there had to be some that started with their mouths!

I wondered if I should say that this was how I got it started from Primary to Secondary (for fear of cries of "unsanitary brewer!"). I used mouthwash pretty heavily before starting, but the vodka method sounds like the way to go ;)

I also got to taste the beer as I started the siphon, which was the most reasuring thing I could do. Even through the mediciney taste of Cepacol mouthwash it still tasted like good beer (I'm impartial here :) ).

Here's my technique for starting a siphon with your mouth without having to worry about contamination. I cut a piece of 5/16 inch hose about 5 inches long and stick that in the end of my 3/8 inch siphon hose. I suck on the 5/16 hose then once I have a mouthful of beer, bite down on it and pull the siphon hose off and put it in my carboy/bottling bucket. And I also recommend using a bottling bucket with a spigot at the bottom and attach your bottle filler to the spigot using a 2 inch piece of 3/8 inch hose. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Back