Two kit batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman555

Reaction score
Hi HBT, I'm a newish brewer who's had some success with Cooper's kits and one nice batch of cider. I'd like to try a single batch with two kits, as I'm hearing you can get a fuller flavour that way. I have one simple question: do I use both yeast packets, or just one? thanks!

Never heard of that. Are they both the same kit? If you mix them I guess you'll need to do a 10 gallon batch other wise you're gonna get one very high SG. If you're new I'd stick w/the kits as they were intended to be brewed.

If you go to aussiehomebrewer.com and do a search for "toucan" you'll get plenty of ideas. I think there was a mega thread called "battle of the toucans" if you're keen

Yes,toucans are def very popular down under. See my Buckeye Burton ale recipe for an example. It wasn't cheap to make,but it was a good strong ale category beer.

Thanks for the responses guys. after reading them and the links suggested, I'm going to go with the two Coopers Stout cans I have, no sugar, and definitely both yeast packets.

I rehydrated 4-7g Cooper's yeast packets for the Burton. You'll need a good amount of yeast for all those sugars. A yeast calculator or BS2 might be a good thing to look at.

Rehydrating is when you boil 1.5-2C of water for a couple minutes. Cover & allow to cool to pitch temp of the yeast. Pour into a sanitized measuring cup or the like & lightly stir in the yeast & cover with plastic wrap for 20-30 minutes. stir resulting yeast cream & pitch into wort at no more than 10 degrees above current wort temperature. This will prevent shocking the yeast.

Back