My first keg death.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I racked a new batch of cider into a keg, tightened it up and connected the gas to purge the O2. I immediately heard gas leaking out of the top. After fiddling with it for a bit I figured out the lid wasn't seating right. I grab another lid from a different unused keg and clean/sanitize it then throw it on. Same problem!

So at this point I think somehow the top of the keg got warped or bent so that it can't make a seal around the lid.

I've tried everything except lathering up the large o-ring with keg lube in hopes it will make a seal.

Now what do I do with a bad keg that won't seal....:confused:

Definitely try the keg lube and rocking the lid back and forth to get a better seat under the lip.

Somebody sells a thicker O-ring for the lid. That might solve your problem.

I've had plenty of kegs that didn't want to seal initially. I've always been able to fiddle around with it to get it to work. Try running the lid and seal under hot water to soften the o-ring.

I have been pulling up on the lid hard while pressurizing it and the bale is latched. It seems to work on the stubborn ones.
You can always use it as a fermenter if you can't seal it tight!

I boiled the o-ring to sanitize, so it was warm and expanded when I put it on.

I did shift the lid around a bit trying to get it to seal. The bail on the first lid I tried did seem a little loose. The second lid was tighter to close the bail. But it still leaked.

I guess I'll slap some lube on it tonight and if that doesn't help, I'll pick up a thicker o-ring.

These are all great suggestions!

I went ahead and just bought the O-ring.

Please let us know if this works - I've been wondering about those 'thicker and squishier' rings williams sells for a while now, but (thankfully) haven't needed to pick one up as of yet.

Still - inquiring minds wish to know!

I'll let you know the results on mr big -n- squishy

I also tried upping the pressure and it just made the leak louder. My gap is too large to correct with more pressure. Plus, having excess pressure can create other issues that I'm hoping to avoid.

Back