is it bad to keep tapping and untapping a beer keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackls1ttop

Reaction score
just got a new kegorater, well we have a family friend who comes and visits our house often, well lets just say if i keep this beer keg tapped the keg wont last long enough with him around . so i decided to untap the beer and close the co2 little shut off valve, so when we decide to drink i just tapp it and turn the c02 on, is it bad if i continue to do this? i can see the coupler wearing out real quickly but is there any other damage that will happen by doing this? thanks guys

They make locks that keep taps from being opened, but the cheapest I've ever seen one was around $45 a piece, which makes your solution far more economical, assuming of course that your friend doesn't learn how to hook up the CO2 :D

Either that, you could just put out a tip jar by the kegerator and politely point out that the ingredients and equipment to make beer aren't free. I'm actually considering doing this with my new kegerator(friends love my beer), and using the tip jar as my new equipment fund, with the end goal being me getting enough money from tips so I can buy a bigger equipment and step up my batch sizes. I've also had 1 friend buy me a new 6.5 gallon carboy so I have an extra primary fermenter just so that I can keep the pipe line fuller, he loves the beer and was more than happy to shell out a little money to help with production.

Just some suggestions.

its funny you say that, i have already put a tip jar and and out of order sign lol. if it was somebody who appreciates beer i wouldent mind, but this guy just pounds natural ice all day, he doesent care what he drinks. maybe a tap lock is what im thinking of right now.

Or you could just tell him not to drink from the kegerator and tell him to bring his own beer if he's looking to get hammered. If he won't respect the rules of your house you might want to start questioning just how good of a friend this person is. I may be way off base here because I don't actually know them, but that's the impression I'm getting from what you have said thus far, no offense intended.

Or you could just tell him not to drink from the kegerator and tell him to bring his own beer if he's looking to get hammered. If he won't respect the rules of your house you might want to start questioning just how good of a friend this person is. I may be way off base here because I don't actually know them, but that's the impression I'm getting from what you have said thus far, no offense intended.

That is pretty much where I was coming from. :p

yea i understand, well thanks for the help guys. i really love this forum, im so happy i got a kegorater, soon i will start brewing up my own batches.

Either that, I wonder if it would be possible to wire up one of those electic fence boxes to the tap. Just get a steel tap handle and tell him to help himself :D

put up a little blackboard over the taps one that says "One side has the greatest beer Ive ever brewed, the other a beer looking solution that contains quite a leathal amount of cyanaide..........choose wisley......" That would definatley keep me away.

The beer will be fine... if it was me though I would just get a tap lock or tell the guy to leave it alone.

Good to know. I tapped my first keg in my kegerator this weekend and we didn't end up being around the house as long as anticipated and had issues with foam that I think may be attributed to the beer line being too short. So I may un tap the keg so I can move the kegerator downstairs and also upgrade the beer lines right away.

We'll see, hope thats the issue.

If it's a corny, I'd just pull the liquid QD off but leave the gas hooked up. Then start brewing beer he won't drink.

Back