water analysis of 5.2 stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastarine

We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering mixing some 5.2 stabilizer with some distilled water and sending it for analysis. Would sharing the results with the board be any kind of intellectual property infringement? I don't think so as I'd be seeing no profit. Is it unethical? Discuss.

Yes, I made a pale ale and a bitter which didn't have nearly enough bitterness, both using 5.2. I used my own mineral blend to make an IPA and it is much better. That tells me that the 5.2 doesn't contribute enough sulfate, so I can make up for that with some gypsum, I just want to know how much. Honestly I probably could just add 150-200 ppm and have good results, but I thought this might make an interesting discussion anyway.

I ask because I emailed several months ago. I was curious too what the effect of 5.2 had on the water profile and how to account for it effects.

I have the response at home which includes the chemical makeup, um, formulae? You know all that elemental mumbo jumbo that would have made sense if I wasn't stoned through HS Chem..

Another half hour and I am on my way home. I find the response and post. If you know how all that chem stuff works maybe it'll make sense and answer your questions.

"... The 5.2 stabilizer is a blend of two salts. They are neutralized versions of phosphoric acid. They are monosodium phosphate (Na H2 PO4) and disodium phosphate (Na2HPO4) in the right ratio they will form a buffer that locks the pH at 5.2..."

That is all. The rest was some fluff about how there is no way I could or should try to account for the chemical in my water.

Well I might not be able to figure out how other minerals will affect the pH, but that does answer my question about sulfate! I always thought 5.2 was some blend of normal water salts. So from now on I'll probably just use 5.2 in the mash and add gypsum to the runnings as necessary. Excellent!

Back