Heatstick/Burner/Bucket Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
Ok so I searched for things like this before posting, but didn't really find all that much. I live in an apartment and cannot do any sort of turkey frying action(which I would loooove to). I would like to try to do AG brewing, but the big thing holding me back is the fact that I dont think my stove could handle a 5 gallon boil. (it had lots trouble with a 2ish gallon boil with the lid off). I am contemplating having my dad whip up a heatstick for me to use, but would feel alot safer using a store-bought bucket heating to get the 5 gallons going. Some of the posts I searched for in regards to bucket heaters at 1000w say it is useless and cant get anything to boil, while others recomend using 2 simultaneously. My question is, if I turn my stove to high, and use a bucket heater, do you think I could get my water to a full 5 gallon boil? Would that even be safe to have both working at once? I dont want to get all the stuff and get all my AG hopes up and have them crushed when I cant even achieve a boil. Also, I would be fine buying 2 bucket heaters and using them in conjunction to my stove if that is what must be done, I just want to play with the grains.

I built mine following this guy's lead:

Cedar Creek Brewing Company - Homebrewing Electric Heatstick

I used JB weld to attach the heating element to the drain pipe cap, used liquid electrical tape to seal every connection in case of a leak, and then sealed everything up well with silicone. It's about time to peel off the silicone and re-apply it after using it for about 10 batches.

I built mine following this guy's lead:

Cedar Creek Brewing Company - Homebrewing Electric Heatstick

I used JB weld to attach the heating element to the drain pipe cap, used liquid electrical tape to seal every connection in case of a leak, and then sealed everything up well with silicone. It's about time to peel off the silicone and re-apply it after using it for about 10 batches.

Ur post is teh sux witout pictoors....:D

I'm curious about these things, we were talking about them at my lhbs saturday....but I'm a little scared of them...I'd like to see what you got.

Back