Pumpkin on Wyeast 3944??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
As a new brewer I have not learned yeast pairing yet.

I am going to make a 10G batch of the following. I have a Belgian sitting on a Wyeast 3944 yeast cake. I would like to use this yeast for my pumpkin ale. Good choice??

15 Gallon All Grain Recipe

Recipe current as of 14 Aug 2011
This recipe has been changed to reflect improvements over the years.

21.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
5.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2.50 lb Biscuit Malt
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked
180.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (a dozen 15oz cans - baked on a sheet as described in the extract recipe, cooled, and added to the mash)

2.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min)

3 Tablets Whirlfloc (Boil 10.0 min)

Yeast - English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) or Fermentis S-04

Single infusion mash at 158° F for 45-60 mins
Mash out at 168°F
Sparge with 178°F water to collect 17.5g of wort
Boil 60 mins

Est OG: 1.057
Est FG: 1.018
Est ABV: 4.99 %
Bitterness: 13.0 IBU
Est Color: 14.2 SRM

During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1/2 tbsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

There will be several inches of trub almost regardless of how you try to contain the pumpkin. Your yield may be slightly less than 15 gallons.

you've brewed this before with WLP002 to success and you want to try a Belgian yeast on it?

why the heck not?

brew it, good luck with it, please report back with the results, I'm stealing the recipe, thank you!
(I like this saying so much I'm changing my sig to include it)

I have never made this yet. I just found the recipe in the recipe section.

a 10gal batch works out to 14lb of 2 row. If I bump it to 16lb and add 16oz of molasses it get me closer to 6%abv.

I have never made this yet. I just found the recipe in the recipe section.

then blaze a trail, you pioneer! :mug:

your Great State wouldn't have been settled if not for intrepid people like yourself

do your ancestors proud!

my next brew is an imperial pumpkin ale. 13% abv. haven't decided on a yeast yet

I guess I can't screw it up too bad. I just don't want 10G of ass flavored beer because I was trying to save $14 on yeast.

I guess I can't screw it up too bad. I just don't want 10G of ass flavored beer because I was trying to save $14 on yeast.

there's the downside to be a trailblazer

could fridge the majority of the yeast, try some on a smaller batch, then use it on a bigger batch if it turns out OK

Ive used 3944 alot, mostly in wits. I used it in a Mad Elf clone last year that came out pretty good.

If you go with 3944 keep it on the cool side, that will probably mitigate alot of the 'witty' esters. The main flavor I get from it is clove, which shouldnt be out of place in a pumpkin beer.

So far as potential problems... One is that it doesnt seem floc very well for me and with all that pumpkin starch you might end up with a cloudy beer. Also make sure you have a good amount of headpace, ive had blowoffs with beers in the 1040s @65F.

And don't forget the rice hulls! 2 pounds wouldn't be overkill with all that pumpkin in your mash. ...

Back