chiller- pond pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I cant seem to find my last issue of byo and Im thinking of building that chiller, I have a 20 ft immersion chiller and Im wondering what pump to buy.
I boil in a keggle and my burner is probably 18 inches tall. what pump would you suggest?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECO-PLUS-396-SU...1080763QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43555QQcmdZViewItem
That's the one that I recently bought. Haven't had it long enough to fully put it through its paces but it seems to work fine, and it was cheap. It also has convenient 1/2" NPT fittings, and comes with several sizes of hose barb.

I know that EdWort is using a 200GPH pump quite successfully, so this 396GPH one should more than cut it.

Yep. Lowe's had mine for $34 and came with the garden hose adapter. Has a nice long power cord and works great. 200GPH

Harbor Freight has fountain pumps on clearance right now. I bought a 190 gal/min for $10. Works great. They also have a 300+ one for $15 I think.

What issue of BYO? I had to let my subscription lapse while I have been in school, but I want to check that out. Can I assume from this conversation that you are recirculating the water through your immersion chillers? I have home built CF chiller, but the concept would work the same, and could save me some on my water bill. I don't know why I never thought to try that. I built a solar pool heater for my sister in law for her inflatable pool using a pump like that and running the pool water out and through 200 feet of black irrigation tubing.

Correction from above- meant to say 190 gal/HOUR.

I plan to use the pump to recirculate ice water from a cooler, through my IC after the wort has cooled to about 80 using cold tap water. I'm hoping this will work well to bring the temp down to 50-60 for brewing my first lager.

rabidgerbil said:
What issue of BYO? I had to let my subscription lapse while I have been in school, but I want to check that out. Can I assume from this conversation that you are recirculating the water through your immersion chillers? I have home built CF chiller, but the concept would work the same, and could save me some on my water bill. I don't know why I never thought to try that. I built a solar pool heater for my sister in law for her inflatable pool using a pump like that and running the pool water out and through 200 feet of black irrigation tubing.

You might save on water but the real concept is to pump ICE water through whichever chiller you use. It's actually out of necessity for most of us when the tap temp is up in the high 80's.

It is the current issue. Sadly, you cannot access it on the website at this time.

If your on a well, or under a drought, it is a huge water saver.

Back