Steel Choice for Weldless Brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBrewer

Reaction score
I like the "erector set" weldless brew stand design as shown here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/weldless-brew-stand-174224/

However, I have lung issues and the idea of zinc plating fumes isn't very appealing (nor fumes that would be generated by removing the zinc plating with muriatic acid). Home Depot also offers plain steel angle iron as shown here http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...53&langId=-1&keyword=angle+iron&storeId=10051

Obviously it's not slotted so I'd have to drill holes (and it will eventually rust), but would this steel be a better alternative for someone who's trying to avoid harmful fumes of any kind? Thanks for the advice.

I went with mild steel square tube and high temp paint on mine. That being said, if you have respiratory concerns, I would strongly suggest you take a look at electric brewing, if that is an option. You can build your table out of wood, or buy a stainless steel table and not have to worry about any gas or paint fumes.

I bolted my erector set rails from Home depot all together. It is galvinized, but once I finish it I will run the burners outside for a bit in the breeze to burn off any thing that is close to the burners. After a dry run without mash or ingredients and it is successfull I will add in the goodies. That way the excess BBQ paint and any galvi should be long gone. That will give my kettles time to season, and any glitches in the controls will show up before it becomes a brew day crisis. In the meantime I got my Hanks Hefe kit from Midwestern today, so I can brew that while I am playing with my stand and the plumbing. Sounds like a relaxing way to spend my only day off in the next week...
Wheelchair Bob

That being said, if you have respiratory concerns, I would strongly suggest you take a look at electric brewing

I really do like that idea but 240V isn't an option for me right now. Regarding the high temp paint some of you guys have mentioned, is that an over the counter item or do I need to take it somewhere to have it done? And if it's take it somewhere, what trade does that sort of thing? Would the high temp paint option work on the slotted steel with the zinc coating (which would be an easier build)? Thanks for the replies.

In the meantime I got my Hanks Hefe kit from Midwestern today, so I can brew that while I am playing with my stand and the plumbing. Sounds like a relaxing way to spend my only day off in the next week...

I can't think of a better way to spend it!

Regarding the high temp paint some of you guys have mentioned, is that an over the counter item or do I need to take it somewhere to have it done?

1200F
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...rd=high+temp+paint&storeId=10051#.UGWk8ZiHIvk
2000F
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...y-coating/_/N-261a?itemIdentifier=398797_0_0_

There are a few others, propane's optimum flame temperature is around 1950°C (3,540°F) so none of them will hold up directly over the burner but should work fine holding your BK.
Hot dipped galvanize burns off at 820 - 860 °F (449 - 460 °C)

As far as the Zinc plating on the stand goes, once it burns off the fumes will go away but the stand will rust. Has anyone sanded down the zinc and painted it with the high temperature paints mentioned to prevent the zinc burning and the stand rusting - sort of killing two birds with one stone?

Any help is appreciated.

Sanding would work if you we're using a grinder or something like that. Since most galvanized metal is hot dipped, and not just simply painted on, it would be hard to sand it off any other way. I would still wear some sort of respiratory protection while grinding it off though.

I have had my weldless brew rig for about 2 years now... made from the galvanized steel per the original design by the OP of that thread. When i had it all up and together, I half filled my keggles and roared all 3 burners for an hour or so outside... keeping my distance. No issues at all with it... there is some slight rusting here and there, but I touch that up with some steel wool or a wire brush. I like the looks of the painted ones... but I just dont see ANY paint holding up long term... whether its scratched up from the keggles, or bubbling up from the heat. Just my $0.02

Back