uugg Seven months in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
I brewed a beer in october and Ive been so busy with my flight training that I havent really had time mixed with a small lack of interest to bottle it. It still smells and looks good... how bad will that old yeast possibly make it taste? Can anybody shoot me some motivation to get it into bottles?

I've got one like that too, well its my brothers. He left it with me when he moved and I just never did anything with it. It about 5 months in prime.

I just kegged a beer that I initially brewed on April 15th, 2011. All the hop flavor and aroma was gone, so I dry hopped it. Tasted like malt water, but I think the dry hop will bring it back. It sat on the yeast cake and trub for that whole time.

You lucky brewer. Bottle it and enjoy. Believe me if it had gone through autolysis you would smell it.

you should be fine. many have done the same and had no problem. you might want to just add a little yeast at bottling or siphon a little bit off the cake to help you carb.

What kind of brew was it? You may have just done yourself a favor. If it was a hoppy beer, you'll probably want to throw some dry hops in and hope it didn't oxidize too badly.

Probably a good idea to add some fresh yeast in with your priming sugar before you bottle.

The only thing is you may want to add more yeast before bottling just to make sure you have enough in suspension for bottle conditioning.

Yea I think I've given up on this batch. I've siphoned the whole 5 gallons into the bottling bucket with the spigot and me and my buds are going to get rid of it by the end of the weekend. It already half gone :ban: everyone loves free beer no matter how old it is!

cheschire said:
Yea I think I've given up on this batch. I've siphoned the whole 5 gallons into the bottling bucket with the spigot and me and my buds are going to get rid of it by the end of the weekend. It already half gone :ban: everyone loves free beer no matter how old it is!

Or how uncarbonated and warm it is? :)

Back