How much priming sugar is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppyhowie

Reaction score
Assuming that fermentation is complete and it's time to bottle for sure, does anyone know how much priming sugar would cause high carbonation vs bombs? I decided to put 1/3 cup granulated cane sugar (all I had at the time) into my 2.5 gal experimental batch... I'm beginning to fear I added too much and just waiting for my bottles to break... Anyone have an idea if this will be a problem?

I keg, but a 5 gallon batch typically takes about 3/4 cup priming sugar though its better to go by weight not volume. I think your bottles are safe.

I re-read the question & realized my answer doesn't help the issue that much. Oops!

I've read/heard that over 4 volumes isn't safe for regular bottles. I've done at least 4 for a hefe & a saison & didn't have problems (knock on wood). Not quite sure how to figure out how many volumes to expect with your batch but there must be a formula to figure it out so you'll know what to expect.

Back