A crazy idea to sweeten cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
What if you were to mash some 2 row at about 165 to get a half gallon or so of very sweet (say about 1090) very unfermentable wort and throw that in with about 5 gal of apple juice to make hard cider? I'd like to end up with a FG of about 1012 which would be just slightly sweet.
I couldn't find a post on this.
Beersmith says it would take about 2.5 lbs of pilsner malt to do it. It would be a really thick mash though, not sure it would work...

Thanks for your comments.

What about steeping some crystal malt instead? You wont have to use as much, and wont have to worry about mashing to the point of hopefully unfermentable

jkoegel said:
I need to learn how to mash.
I want to try the graff for my next batch of cider.

Brandon O's Graff is just steeping grains and extract - no mash needed!

What if you were to mash some 2 row at about 165 to get a half gallon or so of very sweet (say about 1090) very unfermentable wort and throw that in with about 5 gal of apple juice to make hard cider? I'd like to end up with a FG of about 1012 which would be just slightly sweet.
I couldn't find a post on this.
Beersmith says it would take about 2.5 lbs of pilsner malt to do it. It would be a really thick mash though, not sure it would work...

Thanks for your comments.

Sounds like a good idea but you will want to at least pasteurize the wort. I would boil it just to evaporate more water and concentrate it down more. You're only going to extract so much from the grains.

There are a ton of grains you can use. Just make sure you aren't picking something that is going need to be mashed or that is going to add a flavor you probably don't want...you know, like coffee. :p

Hell, dry hop it too while you're at it. :D

I think what the OP is saying is get grains that DO need to be mashed, and then mash them at a high temp (158+) so as to extract non-fermentable sugars and use that non-fermentable stuff to sweeten the cider. Right?

Temperature of the mash is definitely what matters. Rule of thumb:
Mashing at 150* or less = thinner body with more fermentable sugars
Mashing at 156*+ = thicker body with fewer fermentable sugars yielding a sweeter wort.

I went with SA-05 just cause it's cheap. Two pounds of Pils yielded about half a gallon of of 1064 wort. I did a no-sparge-BIAB-kind-of-technique that didn't seem to get the temps high enough in the middle of the bag. Boiled for 90 minutes.

I added that to two gallons of apple juice and pitched. We'll see how it goes.

Back