White Labs Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran

Reaction score
I used my first vial of White Labs yeast today to make a starter.

Question: How do all of you brewing gurus get the yeast out of the vial without making a huge mess? Mine was solid halfway up the vial and I had to use a spoon handle to scoop out as much as I could. Shaking it around with wort did absolutely nothing.

Was something off with my vial or am I just a stupid noob?

In a word, yes.

But, if you're following standard procedures (and it sounds like you are because you're making a starter), the yeast will have a few days to multiply and return to a good viability level. RDWHAHB.

I always stick it in my pocket for an hour or so to warm it up, then just shake it up right before I pour it, never had a problem.

I've had some White Labs vials that I warmed for several hours and still had to shake for several minutes to break up the yeast cake at the bottom of the vial. I don't remember ever having to scoop it out, but I may have done that in the past.

What was the date on the vial? I've not had that issue.... yet. Glad you made a starter though....not sure what pitching that particular bottle would have done if you didn't make a starter. Make sure you give your starter a REAL good swirl from time to time to keep things active!

It seems like the higher flocculating yeasts tend to be harder to break up by shaking... but it can be done.

VAShooter said:
What was the date on the vial? I've not had that issue.... yet. Glad you made a starter though....not sure what pitching that particular bottle would have done if you didn't make a starter. Make sure you give your starter a REAL good swirl from time to time to keep things active!

The date on the bottle is June 24th and it's Irish Ale 004. It was up to room temp, but all of the yeast was compacted and there wasn't nearly enough liquid to shake it up. I am glad made a starter on a stir plate. I will try storing the vial on its side next time to avoid this mess. I should have taken a picture. :)

In addition to what everyone else said (let it get to room temp and shake it up REAL good), I hope you sterilized the spoon handle!

Just ran in to that with the same yeast on tuesday. Had just enough liquid in it to get it to mix. Took ALOT of shaking though. the owner of my lhbs says it has to do with shipping to colder states. he says this only happens to yeast shipped in the winter time.

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. Forgive me, I'm new to these forums so I'm just browsing. I've just started homebrewing in the last month or so. I've only made a couple batches so far and my newest kit came with a WL vial instead of the dry yeast or smack packs I'm used to seeing. These tricks will come in handy :)

You hold it OVER your starter vessel, so that when it gushes (which it usually will) it sprays right into the starters. Using a LARGE sanitized funnel to catch the spew into helps direct it into the vessel.

I always stick it in my pocket for an hour or so to warm it up, then just shake it up right before I pour it, never had a problem.

Tip of the day: leave it in your pocket when you shake it. Talk about explosive fermentation!

I would like to apologize for my recent comment regarding the proper way to shake a vial of yeast. It was rude, suggestive and unacceptable and is in no way reflective of the moral character or taste of homebrewers.

BrewMU said:
I would like to apologize for my recent comment regarding the proper way to shake a vial of yeast. It was rude, suggestive and unacceptable and is in no way reflective of the moral character or taste of homebrewers.

Lolwat. I saw nothing wrong. Atleast nothing worse than the guy who accidentally got sperm in his beer.

BrewMU said:
I think that was Pojo. Couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.

Yes, and everyone vowed never to exchange beer with him. It was a day of realization. You never know what's in someone elses homebrew. Lol

Back