Coding Music?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
I know there's a lot of programmers/engineer's in the community so i thought this might be a good place to ask.

I'm starting a playlist for while i'm coding and i was wondering what people usually listen to while programming. I hear a lot of places let programmers wear headphones so i thought it must be pretty popular.

So is there any type of music you guys usually listen to while programming?

I'm not a programmer/engineer, but I do a decent amount of coding to help automate some of my administrative tasks.

I know this sounds Cliché, but I listen to a lot of electronica. The lack of lyrics makes it easier to concentrate on the task at hand. I'll also do the occasional Jazz.

I've found ambient/trance and the like work better for me for the same reason Jorge mentions. No lyrics to distract me. I really listen to anything though... typically Pandora or the radio.

Jazz, Ambient, Dubstep. Mostly stuff without lyrics.

Or see how long you can last listening to a podcast without screwing up or losing your place..

I was having trouble concentrating with my normal playlist i didn't realize it was just because they were talking to much :/ Thanks guys!

So far i have: Massive Attack, Prodigy, Crystal Method, 300 soundtrack, Batman Soundtrack, and Hackers soundtrack.

It's kind of small so far but i'll keep a look out for any trance/ambient/jazz kind of music. I had a teacher who said he liked to code to an Initial D soundtrack. Thought it was hilarious so i tried to do it.. but that turned out to be pretty hard. Can't imagine how he does it!

I was listening to the 300 soundtrack when i ate a taco once. It was the most epic taco i ever ate.

Anything trance is perfect for coding. I usually go to my old standby "DJ Tiesto". The "Thievery Corporation" is also great - trance/world music mix.

For coding I usually run a DJ Tiesto or Hans Zimmer station via Pandora. If my boss pisses me off I turn to an Alestorm station (Don't knock it til you tried it! :rockin: ) . If I am feeling lazy and not wanting to work it's old school hip hop on a Dr. Dre station. To say the least, Pandora is my savior at work. Plug in the Senn HD280 Pros and go at it....:fro:

My ex-hubby (C++ / Java programmer) used to listen to old school techno/trance mixes. He's also a big fan of Cocteau Twins and Lush.

Whenever I was doing my CFML / SQL codebot work it was long epic progrock pieces, and a lot of Radiohead :)

Latest posts

Back