Milled grain shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim_reaper1066

Reaction score
How long can milled 2-row or any other grain be stored for? I just switched to AG but still have to borrow a barley crusher from a friend. So my question is if I borrow his crusher, and mill enough grain for several batches, will it still be good a week later? Or should it be used no longer then a day or two later.

I let mine sit in sealed bags after I buy it crushed for a week or so, but its about 20% humidity here. A bag of chips never, and I mean never goes bad from being open. Crisp as the day they were made.

m.

I would say two weeks maximum.

Could you go more. Most likely. The problem is that you will start loosing some of the flavor compounds in the grain.

Optimal storage conditions are: low-ish temperature and low humidity. The thing is you don't want condensation, which happens at lower temperatures (think refrigerator, so don't keep it there) and normal humidity.

Thanks for the response guys, I just realized I should have searched the threads a little more before posting.

So optimal storage conditions would be in a air-tight container in the fridge with a desiccator pack to keep the water moisture down.

I would personally keep it out of the fridge, even if the container is air tight, just for fear of odor contamination (Yum, this pale ale really tastes like ketchup!)

What has been said above is probably true, but I always buy probably 4 milled grain bills every time i buy online and it typically takes me a month or two to brew them all. I've been doing this for years, and I've never tasted a difference from the first batch I brew from that order to the fourth. I usually just keep in in the closet in a sealed bag. I know I've heard that after a few months it can begin to get very stale and impart some off flavors, but I've never noticed any.

Back