My brewing exhibit now open in PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
Some of you may know I do historical brewing here in PA , I was lucky enough to be a guest curator for a year long exhibit in Bethlehem PA.

"Roll out the Barrel" Bethlehem Brews History - Is the name of the exhibit, it runs for a year long . I built/ put together a 1820's style brewery system , made out of 110 year old washing machine parts , it's a 1 bbl system ( although on display, it's not complete because of limited space ) .

The challenge with non-profits this year is what is effecting the whole general state of the economy, no money . The other challenge is , attracting new visitors to museums in general, kids attend thru school programs for field trips, seniors ( my parents generation), have the time and relish the past .However, our generation , for the most part , just doesn't get out to see much history, other than the large Smithsonian type places. Having an exhibit devoted to beer has been somewhat of a home run.

I live in a historically significant area when it comes to brewing, 10 miles from Weyerbacher Brewery, 30 miles from Yuengling Brewery, and in town here, my friends at the Allentown /Bethlehem BrewWorks . I worked with the BrewWorks recently, to make a batch of historic Old Ale , the idea here, was " go see the exhibit on brewing down the street, and come back to our brew pub to have a pint of history " , tasting history in a glass is a unique experience, it is different than just looking at relics behind some glass , it's truly dynamic.
In addition, for people who join the museum ( like $50 per/year ) , we are also doing a multitude of other events , like beer and food pairing dinners ( historically themed) , I am brewing several old recipes for tastings, and lectures on historic brewing , etc.. It's a different type of approach to the regular run of the mill exhibit, and so far it's working . And a decent alternative to just trying to get people to come in , see the exhibit and leave . For a small membership , it's really a good value.
I portray ( reenact ) a famous Moravian brewer, and HBT member Bob Davis( NQ3X ) is my assistant . We have also done several brewing demonstrations , using old recipes, brewing on period equipment ,at some of the towns many festivals. The feedback we receive is really rewarding , people are interested in brewing and history. I would encourage anyone to research their own town, cause chances are there was a brewery close by ( at least on the East Coast ).

If you get a chance to visit Bethlehem, stop by the exhibit , let them know you are a HBT member , and I have arranged a special discount for your admission.

Also ,the exhibit is only a 1/2 block away from the Bethlehem BrewWorks , which it's a fantastic place to have quality craft beer, and a great meal .
The Brew Works » Bethlehem Brew Works

Here's a few links :

Historic Bethlehem Partnership

http://www.historicbethlehem.org/data/org/127/media/doc/7065_roll_out_the_barrel.pdf

Here are a couple of shots of the exhibit :

P1000513.jpg

P1000503.jpg

P1000493.jpg

P1000495.jpg

Wow! This is a very interesting idea for a museum. I wish I lived closer so I could check it out. Maybe it's time to plan a weekend getaway for the family...or myself.

Wow, really beautiful! :rockin: :mug:
Love the vintage hydrometer with split weights.

...Wish I was closer to Pennsylvania as well.

that is awesome. I've been looking for what to do for my celebration of two years smoke free, and I think I may have just found the perfect day trip.

Is he exhibit at the visitor center, or at the brewworks? I'm not sure where it is.

that looks like alot of heart and soul went into this exhibit. Maybe it could later go on tour or displayed in permanent museum.

that is awesome. I've been looking for what to do for my celebration of two years smoke free, and I think I may have just found the perfect day trip.

Is he exhibit at the visitor center, or at the brewworks? I'm not sure where it is.

The vistors center is the gift shop that leads to the 1810 Goundie House, this is the location of the exhibit, the BrewWorks , is just 1/2 a block up the street. If you want to visit Bethlehem, we have festivals, we just had a million people come attend Musikfest, a 10 day free music festival, Christmas is also a really neat time to come, we are the "Christmas City " , the exhibit runs till next July 31st , so a full year to get here.

Here's some additional photo's :

200 year old still, 3bbls

P1000475.jpg

PreProhibition blobs:

P1000480.jpg

My 1790's mash tun:
P1000508.jpg

I love this type of stuff. I always said if I opened a brewery, I want the design to be like a prohibition style thing. Wooden barrels laying everywhere....prohibition memorabilia...maybe an old moonshine runner car.

I'm only 45 minutes from Bethlehem, I'll have to head up there sometime soon... I'd like to get a taste of the Old Ale:

Goundie’s Old Monocacy Ale, is a typical Old Ale, using 2 row malt , fire roasted Barley and a special
ingredient called Essentia Bina ( which is a homemade Molasses),boiling over a fire for hours before setting the
pot on fire
,this adds color and a peat like taste . Old Ale is a somewhat sweet , rich and full bodied Ale

Back