Trying to come up with recipe- Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidneysaintpe

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do a cream ale for some time and have put together this recipe. This is the first time I have attempted to put together my own recipe so....tell me what I should change:)

4 lb. Pilsner malt
4 lb. American 2-row pale malt
.5 lb. flaked maize
.5 lb. cane sugar (piloncillo, jaggery,etc)

1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
.5 oz Hallertau (1 min)

Yeast- not sure here...
Heard good things about White Labs California Ale (WLP001)
Maybe Cream Ale Blend (WLP080) or WYeast Kolsch.

Any help greatly appreciated!!

looks good. very similar to a cream ale i made the other day:

3 lbs Pilsner
3 lbs 6-row
1 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Flaked Maize

1 oz hallertau (60 min)
1 oz 7% saaz (5 min)

I always use the WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend. ferment in the low 60s and it will turn out great!
:mug:

Thanks for the response,
What is the main difference between the 6-row vice 2-row malt?

woah, someone else that knows what pilloncillo is. I'd be careful with that stuff, I did a ginger beer with it, and it seems to be around 60-70% fermentable, so it could leave your cream ale with quite a high FG if you're not careful.

You need more corn or other adjuncts if you're striving for a light, crisp cream ale. Hit my recipe drop down and check out the #3 recipe. It seems to be "relatively" well received by this board.

ahh...yes, i always do a 90 minute boil with pilsner malt...i think i actually did the hops for 90, too. i just threw the recipe up from memory.

:drunk:

6-row has more diastatic power and a slightly different flavor...i've read it's more "grainy" but i doubt you'd notice much.

i've only used 6-row a few times to help with conversion. I'm giving it a try with this recipe as i heard cream ale's "traditionally" used 6-row because it was cheap and helped with conversion. i used 2-row + pilsner for all of my previous creams.

Latest posts

Back