American IPA Crisp, Refreshing IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfehon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days - 62 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Citrus/Floral, very crisp and refreshing.
Pilsner 96%
Torrified Wheat 4%

Mash at 152 F

1oz Citra (Mash)
1oz Centennial (First Wort)
.4oz Magnum (90 min)
.4oz Warrior (90 min)
.4oz Crystal (15 min)
.5oz Amarillo (10 min)
.7oz Simcoe (5 min)
1oz Citra (2 min)
1.7oz Centennial (FO)

Dry Hop
2oz Citra
2oz Centennial

I had some hops left over from another IPA which is why there are the uneven amounts. This recipe isn't reinventing the wheel by any stretch. However, it's so clean, crisp and hoppy. The citra and centennial really come through with a great combo of orange citrus and the floral notes of centennial. It would be even better if it wasn't so cold right now where I live - this is a pool-side beer for sure, I could drink it all day!

BeerPhoto.JPG

I just brewed this again with the plan to make a 5 gallon batch. It turned out closer to 5.5. What I used was 11 pounds of German Pilsner malt and .5 pounds terrified wheat. The hop schedule I simplified to:

1oz Citra (Mash)
1oz Centennial (FWH)
1oz Warrior (90 min)
1oz Amarillo (10min)
1oz Simcoe (5 min)
1oz Citra (2 min)
1oz Centennial (FO)

I hit 75% efficiency with a OG of 1.060. I'll dry hop the same as I did in the original recipe. Of the two cases I bottled at the beginning of the month I'm down to about 12 bottles. This is an extremely drinkable beer!

Here's a better picture of how this beer looks - my wife and I enjoying a glass. I bottled it to 2.3 volumes of CO2, which is perfect.

ipa.JPG

Back