Favorite IPA Hop Combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Equal parts of Simcoe, Centennial, and Citra for me. Love that combo.

I've been working on my upcoming IPA recipes and this is one of them. 2 oz Nugget @ 60, then 1 oz of each Centennial, Simcoe, Citra @ 5, flame-out, and dry hop. Maybe an extra ounce of Centennial for dry hop. I'm also going to do the same schedule, but replace the Centennial with Chinook.

wobdee said:
What's that NZ Southern Cross like? I haven't been able to find them. I do want to try some of those Aussie and NZ hops one of these days.

Amazing.. I picked up a few ounces for Rebel basically gave them away for Sandy. Could be the next big hop

Just threw in 1 oz each of Simcoe and Amarillo to dry hop into my primary of my 2.5 gl batch of Red IPA.

Chinook and Galaxy. I brewed an IPA with Chinook for bittering at 60 mins and then finished with Galaxy at 20, 15, 10, 5 and flame out. Dry-hopped with both. Turned out incredible.

It used to be Amarillo for me but now about anything with Chinook is my current favorite. Chinook with just the right amount of roast in an American Stout is something I'm trying to perfect this year for a run at competitions next year.

The last two IPA's I did were: Warrior/Simcoe/Amarillo and Warrior/Simcoe/Galaxy. Both excellent.

For a Pale ale, I like Nugget/Columbus

I'm a pretty simple man. A metric ****ton of Centennial with just about any westcoast hop I have leftover. Simcoe, Amarillo, even Cascade whatever. Centennial makes me swoon.

Just made an IPA with Chinook at 60, Columbus at 30, and Motueka (NZ) at 5. Going to dry hop with Motueka. Something about that hop that I really like. A little bit of a limeaid flavor, but in a delicious way.

Another vote for Columbus and cascade..... It certainly isn't innovative, but to me it defines what American IPAs are about.

Other than that, I grabbed the wrong container once and did Columbus+zythos... Single most popular ipa to date. I almost didn't get any! This summer is going to be about southern hemisphere hops for me, though. Ask this question again in a few months and we'll see if my opinion has changed :)

I also love chinook. It is a great hop by itself. Adding centennial, Amarillo, or citra at flameout or during dry hop is delicious.

I also am on a centennial/Amarillo kick lately. Makes a great IPA.

Back