Home Brew Clubs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
We have a club here that's about to celebrate it's 2nd anniversary, and we are just (finally!) getting to the point where we are going to start collecting mandatory dues (up until now, we've been on the honor system).
How does your club handle dues? We're looking at an annual fee, and then a two-tiered monthly collection (members/non-members. Non-members will be allowed their first meeting free to check us out, and after that we will start collecting).
Do you have discounted rates for families and couples?
Do you have an "activity" committee? If so, are they elected officials, or strictly voluntary?
As you can see, we've been flying by the seat of our pants for the last couple years, so any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi Kjung, which club is this? I'm a part of BOSS (Brewers of South Suburbia) you can check it out at Brewers of South Suburbia

BOSS has annual membership dues of $25 and our membership year runs from April - March, I believe. It costs the same no matter when you pay your dues, its not prorated.

We have fees for each meeting, with a discounted fee for members (usually $7 - 10, depending on where the meeting is, etc.) Spouses of members pay the member meeting fee.

There are a couple of events throughout the year that are only open to paid members (including our annual outing to the Fulton Street Goose Island in February and the December Holiday Party at Maple Tree Inn).

BOSS has officers, who are elected.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

We have IBRU (Illana Beer Rackers Union). A couple of our people are/were part of BOSS, and that's what we're basing our ideas off of.

Austin Zealots have never had any dues. All the money the club needs to run all year is raised by the annual homebrew competition. It's not BJCP sanctioned, so there is near zero expense to run it. They create some wonky categories every year which makes it fun to enter, and the judges are very good even though most aren't BJCP.

We have a club here that's about to celebrate it's 2nd anniversary, and we are just (finally!) getting to the point where we are going to start collecting mandatory dues (up until now, we've been on the honor system).
How does your club handle dues? We're looking at an annual fee, and then a two-tiered monthly collection (members/non-members. Non-members will be allowed their first meeting free to check us out, and after that we will start collecting).
Do you have discounted rates for families and couples?
Do you have an "activity" committee? If so, are they elected officials, or strictly voluntary?
As you can see, we've been flying by the seat of our pants for the last couple years, so any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!
G'day Kjung,
Where in Chicago are you guys based? I am in the western Burbs (CH/Westmont area) and looking for a HBC!

Our dues are just $12 annually, paid in January. That way it is simple to prorate dues for members that join later in the year.

We have a Prez, a VP, a secretary, and a treasurer. Terms also run from January for a year. We vote in the January meeting for officials, unless of course they are running unopposed.

Our club doesn't have any dues. In addition to raising funds through our annual competition, we raffle off a number of bottles at each meeting.

We have IBRU (Illana Beer Rackers Union). A couple of our people are/were part of BOSS, and that's what we're basing our ideas off of.

Cool! I see you guys are based or meet in Crown Point - BOSS is meeting there tomorrow! Is Bob H. involved, since that's his neck of the woods? I like him a lot, met him at Mid Country and the BOSS holiday dinner, very nice guy.

Good luck, if I can help, let me know.

G'day Kjung,
Where in Chicago are you guys based? I am in the western Burbs (CH/Westmont area) and looking for a HBC!

Hi Cyclo, it looks like IBRU is based in NW Indiana and according to their listing, meets in Crown Point. You can find a list of homebrew clubs at the AHA site here Homebrewers Association | Find a Homebrew Club

You're welcome to check out BOSS (Brewers of South Suburbia) but I think you can find one more convenient and closer (we've met in Blue Island, the Pullman neighborhood, Tinley Park, Frankfort, and Kankakee).

BOSS is meeting tomorrow (Friday) at Crown Brewing in Crown Point, IN. You're welcome to join us, the beer style of the month is dark lagers, send me a pm and I'll get you info.

Cool! I see you guys are based or meet in Crown Point - BOSS is meeting there tomorrow! Is Bob H. involved, since that's his neck of the woods? I like him a lot, met him at Mid Country and the BOSS holiday dinner, very nice guy.

Good luck, if I can help, let me know.

Yes, we're based out of Crown. All but one of our meetings have been there, the exception was at Beer Geeks Pub in Highland. Bob was very instrumental in our forming. Almost all of us frequent his HBS in CP, also.

Hi Cyclo, it looks like IBRU is based in NW Indiana and according to their listing, meets in Crown Point. You can find a list of homebrew clubs at the AHA site here Homebrewers Association | Find a Homebrew Club

You're welcome to check out BOSS (Brewers of South Suburbia) but I think you can find one more convenient and closer (we've met in Blue Island, the Pullman neighborhood, Tinley Park, Frankfort, and Kankakee).

BOSS is meeting tomorrow (Friday) at Crown Brewing in Crown Point, IN. You're welcome to join us, the beer style of the month is dark lagers, send me a pm and I'll get you info.

You beat me to the response! :mug:

Thanks! But it is a bit of a hike sorry :)

Anyone a member of Urban Knaves of Grain? (sorry for the hijack :) )

Kokomo IN area- I belong to 2 clubs- Howard County Homebrewers and in Cass County, the Redneck Brewers Group. HoCo Brewers have a $5/yr membership that gets you into club brews and special tasting meetings. Redneck brewers meet usually 2 x a week- no membership dues but we do have collection boxes at each meeting place (varies week to week) to collect a buck that goes toward a scholarship at the local high school. Everything done by the RBG is self paid for ( food, special ingredients, club brews, etc). The main thing is perpetuating the art and craft of brewing beer, wine, mead etc. i will say that the easier you make it the better it is. Yes, some clubs go big, and thats great. We live by the KISS rule.....

My club will let someone come to a meeting free to check us out. After that they are expected to pay the yearly dues. Then for all current members the dues are due at the 1st meeting of the year. Our dues are a whopping $10.

Back