First Brew Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewDLW3

Reaction score
I am brewing an India Pale Ale with Brewer's Best kit. I followed instructions very closely, I am a bit of a perfectionist. I have just racked into a Secondary Carboy 5.5 days after pitching yeast, Seemed to be slowing quite a bit in the fermenting process, only a bubble or two after 5-10 minutes. I tested the Gravity and got 1.010 and I had a OG of 1.052 and had a taste test. The aroma is great, the texture is great, but got quite an astringent taste, hoping it mellows in the secondary. Here are some the issues I know I did and may have affect this. Please let me know what you think of my following follies.

1. Used an old thermometer for steeping grains, was between 150-165 degrees I am sure I did not go over 165. But flucuated in the temps.

2. I stupidly covered the wort during the boil thinking it kept the temp more stable. I did uncover and stir almost ever 5 minutes and the last 20 minutes had the wort chiller in it and was only half covered. I know you shouldn't cover the wort at the boil. Didn't know that then.

3. I added cold bottled water when raising the wort level to 5 gallons in the fermenter.

4. Moved the fermenter a bit may have mixed a little of the krausen in, and poured it into the secondary using filter and funnel so accidently aerated it a little going to the secondary.

Any comments would be appreciated and especially what could have caused it to get this astringent taste and if it will mellow or if it will taste bad in the bottle? Thanks.

First of all any of those are big concern,

Second I<ve only brew around 20 batchs and my english is not the best so if someone other can comment it would be great.

1. That is not realy a big concern for me but it would be hard for you to remake the same beer, so if you can find a way to minimize it you could be more consistent on your result ans ratios!

2. Maybe you will get some no so pleasant flavor from that move, but usually I don<t think it will ruin your beer

3. Considering you took you OG after it there is nothing bad in it, what I do is thake an OG, if its ok I don<t touch the carboy, if it seems to high then I add water and take back the OG

4. Aeration should be minimize but as #2 wont ruin you beer, be me I would not have filter it before the second, I would have filter after the second, But I have never made it, and usually I have great result if you dont mind not being crystal clear

Hope it will help you in anyway!

I would think that the covering the beer during the boil could be the biggest culprit to the astringent taste that and your beer is not conditioned yet. Let it condition after you have completed your secondary and give it a try. I would also suggest in investing in a racking cane or better yet, an auto siphon. Aerated beer will cause some off flavors that won't mellow out over time.
As for the old thermometer, stick it in boiling water and ensure it works. Check the boiling point for you elevation and ensure the thermo reads that temp when you water is boiling. If not, pitch it and get a new one.

The temperature for steeping grains is not very critical. Some of the kit directions may even have you boil the grain and even that won't ruin your beer but learning to control your temperature should be on your list for if you should decide to go to all grain brewing the temperature of your mash is a critical item.

Adding cold water to your wort is a part of brewing with extract kits. If your water is safe to drink and doesn't have chlorine or chloramines in it the beer will be just fine.

You can avoid getting krausen in your secondary by not using one. Nope, it isn't necessary unless you are adding fruit or racking onto oak chips. You can even dry hop right in the primary if you wish.

5 i/2 days isn't enough time in the primary. Your beer will be better if you leave it longer so that there is a large amount of yeast to clean up the byproducts of the initial fast part of the ferment. The astringent flavor you notice could be from the excess of suspended yeast. Let it have more time.

None of your "mistakes" are of any big concern...only #4 would be of concern to me, but early in my brew experience I was reckless in racking, and never did I get the oxidized "cardboard" taste that many sources quote as being a consequence.

Thanks. Just worried about that astringent flavor. Yeah it was a quick transition to the secondary but of course being a noob I was worried that all the sediment and what not was not good for it and I didn't want all the yeast to die in the primary. It seemed to be rather completed, the krausen had gone mostly away and not very much CO2 was being produced. I do have an autosiphon but I also brewed a beer with some spices in it the other day and a peice of cinnamon or something got stuck in the little valve at the bottom and broke. It does have that Bells Two hearted kind smell and initial flavor and I think two hearted even has a little of that astringent flavor to if I am not mistaken, just not strong so I hope mine mellows out in a couple weeks and taste good like that stuff.

My last 3 brews are still in the primary after 4 weeks and I expect the yeast to be alive and ready to carbonate my bottles and I expect this to be some of my best beer yet. I quit worrying about the sediment. I used to see a thick layer of yeast in my bottles but with the longer primary it is hard to see any.

Back