fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddykreuger666

Reaction score
i wanna make a beer with a bit of flavour. could i just throw in a bit of lemon or orange juice in the fermenting bin along with everything else? or wud this not work

Sure, you can add a variety of fruit flavors, juices and crushed fruit to the fermenter with little problem, just be sure to boil it first. If you don't boil fruit or juices, they may introduce bacteria that can make a good beer go bad.

Spices can be used too, Cinnamon, corriander, ginger, nutmeg, and many other spice flavors work well in some styles of beer.

the brewer over at Ballast Point/Home Brew Mart gave me some advicxe when we did our Strawberry ale. Add some Pectic Enzyme to your fruits (especially citrus) to cut the acidity back some.

I want to try a blackberry wheat. Like the cheap Henry's stuff they used to sell here in Oregon. I found a wheat recipe that calls for Pacific Gem hops (New Zeland). I read somewhere that Pacific Gem Hops have an aroma and slight flavor of blackberries. I figure I could kick this up a notch by adding a bottle of blackberry extract at bottling time. Or maybe steeping fresh fruit after the boil? Or both! Any suggestions?

Ed_Savage said:
I want to try a blackberry wheat. Like the cheap Henry's stuff they used to sell here in Oregon. I found a wheat recipe that calls for Pacific Gem hops (New Zeland). I read somewhere that Pacific Gem Hops have an aroma and slight flavor of blackberries. I figure I could kick this up a notch by adding a bottle of blackberry extract at bottling time. Or maybe steeping fresh fruit after the boil? Or both! Any suggestions?

Ed,
Have you tried the Huckleberry ale from the C'oeur D'Alene Brewery? Very nice summer ale. Light in body, but with a nice hint of huckleberries. With all the blackberries you have over in the valley....let me know how your ale turns out.

Ken Doggett said:
Ed,
Have you tried the Huckleberry ale from the C'oeur D'Alene Brewery? Very nice summer ale. Light in body, but with a nice hint of huckleberries. With all the blackberries you have over in the valley....let me know how your ale turns out.

No, I have never seen that stuff. Sounds tasty. I'll have fun trying to find it too. Maybe my local specialty brew shop would have it?

I'll let you know how the batch turns out. I just don't wanna go too overkill with the berries. Yep, and we have lots of blackberries here in the valley! Im just a few miles from Sauvies Island, so I can just hit up some of the farmers markets after work one of these mornings.

:D

Back