Regulator Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reidoreilly

Reaction score
Im on my second regulator as of now, because my first one was dropped and damaged, but I had the same issue with that one. The problem im having is when I try adjust the pressure coming from the tank with the screw/knob its feels as if it is threaded wrong. Once I get up to around 20 PSI its almost impossible to go any higher to 30 PSI like want. I have a feeling that im doing something wrong, as my two regulators are from two differnt sources.

This is a Really dumb question, but you did loosen the nut at the bottom of the screw right?

i think as the pressure increases it becomes more difficult to screw in because your adjusting some sort of diaphram and its resisting against the increasing pressure. maybe? just a thought

I was dealing with a similar problem. ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73151 ) Mine was a faulty regulator, and I exchanged it at the place from which I bought it.

If you force it, it will probably fail sooner, just a heads up. I'd call/talk to whoever you got it from.

What kind of regulator is it? Is the body round with no screws? Or does it have 4 screws, one on each corner of the body? (The colored "bell" part with the screw)

Pictures could help if you have a camera.

Might also help to use graphite lubricant (find @ an auto parts store) or a graphite pencil on the threads. That could help keep it from seizing. Anti-Seize lubricant is also available at an auto parts store.

I've never noticed a "pressure differential" on mine. Just as easy to turn at 5psi as at 30psi. I've never gone above 35psi on mine though. YMMV, it depends on your model. The basic principle, though, is bolt -> collar -> stiff spring -> diaphragm. So if your particular model gets a bit "tight" at that end of the range, it could just be increased spring tension. Like I said, mine doesn't really do that badly.

Just avoid using things like WD-40 or other liquid lubricants. You want something that will stay on the threads, and not seep all over. Don't want that crap inside the body of the regulator after all!

Being that it's only 2 weeks old, I'd give them a call and see if they've had other people report problems with that model, etc. Could have been a defective manufacturing run, maybe they will identify the issue and get it replaced for you with a good one!

Back