American Amber Ale Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the flame out hops. How would 2oz of leaf hops through a hopback work out? Or, should I leave them in the boil?

For the flame out hops. How would 2oz of leaf hops through a hopback work out? Or, should I leave them in the boil?

I don't have a hopback, but I do recirculate after the boil ends until I hit about 140 degrees, and then send to the fermenter on the next pass through the chiller.

Yes, except Munich malt must be mashed. Now, don't worry! A mash is basically a steep. Just make sure you do it for 60 minutes at 153. Use all the specialty grains called for, and mash it in 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. A grain bag is fine, or two if you need it so the grains are "loose" in there. Keep it at 153-154 for 60 minutes, and then pour 170 degree water over those grain bags to get to your boil volume. Sub DME for the 2-row. You'll be all set!

Yooper, I was just wondering about this. I would like to do this recipe and feel comfortable about this partial mash (since you said it's like steeping [yea, im a noob]), but you said the sub DME for the 2-row. What do you mean? Any bit of knowledge helps. Thanks Yooper!:mug:

I just brewed this up today, with a few modifications.

The grain bill I followed exactly as instructed.

I ended up FWH'ing with Amarillo, and using Warrior @ 60min, and Simcoe and Cascade (LHBS was out of Centennial).

I wish I had centennial hops, since thats my favorite strain, but I'm sure the end result will still be delicious.

The only part that I'm actually worried about, is the fact that I used S-04. I didn't have enough time to make a starter with liquid yeast, and I forgot to write down which dry yeast (us05 or s04) before I got to the LHBS, and just took a gamble.

Hopefully it won't be a big difference.

I've never used s04 before, though. Is it a clean-flavor profile like us-05? Or does it leave a lot of flavor behind...?

I'm currently fermenting at 60-61 degrees F, to get as clean of a flavor profile as possible.

What do you guys think?

Just poured my first pint of this. Its tasty and hoppy. Had to use some old fashioned oats and some extra crystal to replace the naked oats i couldnt grab since i plan brew days about a half day in advance. Hoping this is as big a hit as my last keg. Taking it to a buddies wedding for his gift (at his request).

Thanks yooper!

Mmmmmmmmmmm

2012-04-26_21-05-50_983-1.jpg

Tapped this at the wedding around 330 and it was finished by 800. Big hit and a great recipe. Ill be brewing this again very soon. I think i may have even got a few folks interested in brewing their own beer. Thanks again yooper.

Yooper brewed and consumed a 5g batch of this. It was excellent in every way. I even had a moth land in the wort as I was chilling it, and it still came out great. Thanks for posting. Cheers.

Hey Yoop, Brewed this a couple months ago and just tapped it tonight. Followed your recipe exactly and it was excellent. Best amber ever. Not to heavy on the malt like most ambers and the higher AAU content balanced it perfectly. A new favorite for sure.. Thanks again..

Hey Yoop, Brewed this a couple months ago and just tapped it tonight. Followed your recipe exactly and it was excellent. Best amber ever. Not to heavy on the malt like most ambers and the higher AAU content balanced it perfectly. A new favorite for sure.. Thanks again..

Glad to hear it came out so well for you!

NOOB here, so forgive me, but I can't find this recipe in Beersmith? Any help would be appreciated.

And, BTW Yooper, I think I could just brew your recipes and be happy for a long time. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the answer on PM Yooper!

Can I just use 100% RO water and add some salts to adjust. Again, this is my 2nd brew & 1st AG so I'm trying to simplify vs. figuring out my tap water chemistry.

If so, what do you recommend I add.

Thanks for the answer on PM Yooper!

Can I just use 100% RO water and add some salts to adjust. Again, this is my 2nd brew & 1st AG so I'm trying to simplify vs. figuring out my tap water chemistry.

If so, what do you recommend I add.

Yes, you could do that.

I normally take the "less is more" approach, and for this beer I would use 3 grams each of calcium sulfate (gypsum) and calcium chloride in a total of 7 gallons for the boil in a 5 gallon batch.

That would get you about 58 ppm of calcium, 63 of sulfate, and 55 of chloride. Pretty balanced, and enough calcium for good yeast health.

Wow, this looks good and surprisingly similar grain bill to my current (Red IPA) I have on dry hop. A malty amber with a nice balance of hop and dry hop sounds awesome to me.

Brewed this one again for a buddies wedding. It was very well received. Thanks again Yoop. Cheers.
I just brewed this again, also for a wedding. Since the groom is a hophead, I added dryhops of 1 oz each Centennial and Cascade. Very much anticipated!

I just brewed this again, also for a wedding. Since the groom is a hophead, I added dryhops of 1 oz each Centennial and Cascade. Very much anticipated!

Sounds good to me. The balance of this beer is pretty nice as is, but some dry hops would take it to another level. All I did was primary for 3 weeks, bottle and cellar for a week, then cold conditioned for a week. Simple as that.

This being only the 2nd beer I've ever made, I cannot believe how fantastic it turned out. I chose this because I like Red Rocket from Bear Republic but, after this one, I'm not sure I like that anymore!
My LHBS told me they had it all in stock and then subbed Special B and Oat Malt for the Golden Naked Oats but, after tasting, I guess I can forgive them ;-)
I think I will always have this in the rotation. I just might want to play with the hop schedule to smooth out the bitterness just a smidge (just my preference). It's already way smoother than Red Rocket and I love the mouthfeel. I can't wait to brew it with the Golden Naked Oats.
Everyone I have given this to has loved it. I'm waiting on feedback from a neighbor who used to brew for Lost Coast, but I think he's going to love it.
The problem I have with this recipe is that it's making me want to jump up too 11g batches! Thanks Yooper for the recipe and all the advice along the way. You ROCK! :rockin:

I brewed this last week. Had to make a couple substitutions. I used flaked oats instead of golden naked, and used nugget for bittering addition. Overshot my OG at 10.70, ground water here in florida isn't very good for chilling so i placed in my chamber and pitched the next morning, 1 quart starter decanted of the denny's fav 50. This was only my 3rd AG batch and if I'm using the calculators right, I'm close to 80% mash Eff. hydrometer sample today was very promising, i'm very much looking forward to drinking this one.

Two weeks @ 64 is fine for this right? Hit fg of 1.015 by about day 5ish. Maybe ill take it out of the chamber and.leave it for another week at room temp to make sure ita completely done. Need room in my chamber for another brew on day 15.

This being only the 2nd beer I've ever made, I cannot believe how fantastic it turned out. I chose this because I like Red Rocket from Bear Republic but, after this one, I'm not sure I like that anymore!
My LHBS told me they had it all in stock and then subbed Special B and Oat Malt for the Golden Naked Oats but, after tasting, I guess I can forgive them ;-)
I think I will always have this in the rotation. I just might want to play with the hop schedule to smooth out the bitterness just a smidge (just my preference). It's already way smoother than Red Rocket and I love the mouthfeel. I can't wait to brew it with the Golden Naked Oats.
Everyone I have given this to has loved it. I'm waiting on feedback from a neighbor who used to brew for Lost Coast, but I think he's going to love it.
The problem I have with this recipe is that it's making me want to jump up too 11g batches! Thanks Yooper for the recipe and all the advice along the way. You ROCK! :rockin:

The only problem I ran into is that I over-carbed and the yeast will not stay on the bottom of the bottles. I measured my priming sugar by volume rather than weight (I know... Rookie Mistake) but the Denny's Fav 50 gets in the glass even with a perfect pour. Anyone else run into this issue with Denny's Fav?

Haha i jusy bottled this today and did 5/8 cup table sugar... hoping for the best.. guess its time to pony up and buy a kitchen scale.

The only problem I ran into is that I over-carbed and the yeast will not stay on the bottom of the bottles. I measured my priming sugar by volume rather than weight (I know... Rookie Mistake) but the Denny's Fav 50 gets in the glass even with a perfect pour. Anyone else run into this issue with Denny's Fav?
I have found this yeast to be less flocculent than others such as US-05. Giving the bottles an extended stay in your fridge helps a lot.

This got huge accolades from my neighbor who used to brew for Lost Coast. He couldn't believe that this was only the 2nd beer I've brewed! The only issue he noticed was the over-carbonation. Oh well, time to brew it again!

NB question here,

The hop bill is similar to some IPAs. We called it a PA because of the amount of malt?
I think the answer will be that with that kind of grain bill, it takes more hop to balance the sugar but I just want to confirm.

Im asking because I wanted to make my IPAs more malty and start from that recipe. But when I look to that recidpe, I understand that Ill have to increase the flavor and aroma hop.

Thanks

It has to do with the beer styles, and the categories they fall into.

For an American amber:

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 25 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 10 – 17 ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%

So, it's a bit higher in OG and IBUs but the grainbill fits an American amber because of the crystal malt and the color. Many American reds/ambers are highly hopped.

For a pale ale, the color is usually lighter and the crystal/caramel malts more restrained but they can be even more highly hopped.

This is not even close to an IPA in color, flavor, or maltbill. An IPA tends to have a firm bittering, a drier finish, less sweet malt, and a more attenuative yeast.

Sure, there are hops in this beer but it's not anything like an IPA in those ways.

What original and final gravity should I be shooting for? And were these all dry hops? And what is the batch size?

Nevermind that post. I couldn't see it on the phone app but saw it on the computer. Excited to brew this tomorrow

Just opened a bottle of this tonight and it is amazing! Very happy with how this one turned out, and only beem bottled for two weeks. Swmbo loves it and ill be taking some to a couple buddies tomorrow. Going to be a regular for me.

My batch is still bubbling about every 10-15 seconds after 11 days in the fermenter. Anyone else have this long of a fermentation with this recipe?

I checked fg at two weeks and bottled at three. It was right around 1.012-1.014 iirc. I dont trust airlocks really, could just be co2 degassing for whatever reason, take a hydrometer reading!

I just poured my first glass of this from the keg. I followed the recipe exactly. Mine isn't even carbed all the way yet and it is fantastic. Great balance, a lot of interesting flavors. Excellent recipe. Thank you yooper!

I think im about to brew another batch of this, its such a perfect medium of malty and hoppy. Im likely going to always have this around.

Edit- how many volumes are you carbing to? I finally got a kegerator and absolutely have to put a batch in it soon, will either be this or my belgian wit sitting in the primary now.

Back