Trying to brew but swmbo has errand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was going to brew Monday, but swmbo has asked for an errand.
I was wondering if I could mash can collect the wort, then pause, and run the errand, then return for the boil and cooling. It'd probably be at least 2 hour delay probably more like 3 hours.
6 gallon batch mild ale was planning.

Was thinking that I could cover the bk with lid, and let collected wort sit before returning from errand, and should not pose any real problems.

Let me know if anyone can see any reason why I should just postpone brewing for a day.

TD

I'd tell her to either run her own damn errand or don't schedule it on a day where I'm busy all day. Not to mention an errand that'll take 3 hours. Makes me wonder if it's just some busy body BS to stop you from brewing?

I'm with Yooper, and I have done this many times will no ill effects on the beer.

A quick errand for milk,cigs or other is one thing. But he said 3 solid hours. No way am I going to be interupted in the middle of a brew day to run off for 3 hours on some errand she could likely do herself seeing he's already busy in the middle of something hard to walk away from time-wise.

Think I'm gonna measure up everything the night before so it's ready to rock and roll, and get up on time instead of the planned sleeping in. Of course I alway say that three nights before, and then the actual night before I find some excuse why I can alway do it in the morning.
If I fired it up by 7:30 AM I could mash boil and chill before 1pm. It's a small brew and short mash.
Unless issues arise....

Thanks for suggestions.
In general I always do a mash out, but good call on that.

TD

Kind of late to the party. I would wait if it was my wife or change my brew to a late night brew. But my wife does not ask much so when she does I am inclined to help out if I can

My last beer I needed to pick my son up from preschool in the middle of the process, so I scheduled the beer so I'd leave during the mash.

It ended up being a longer-than-usual mash (a little under 2 hours), but that's okay as it was a 147 degree mash and I wanted fermentable wort.

A 3 hour interruption, though? For that I'd reschedule a brew day.

Well, so far not counting skipping brewing Monday, I've got 3 brews in this week. Today's went smoothest. Still having friggin' burner issues: erratically burn orange, then blue, then orange. When the boil kettle is working the HLT and MT are jacked, and vice-versa, but not always! Arrgh!! I'm thinking it could be spiders in the mani or regulator!

I'm planning an ESB for tomorrow, but will see reaction when SWMBO asks, "So what are you doing tomorrow? You're not brewing again are you?" Why yes Dear, I am brewing an ESB.

TD

So, in the last 2 weeks I brewed plenty.
One of my burners (actually the pilot light) crapped out, but I was able to tough it out, with only two burners on the last brew. I had to abort the step mash I had planned for the Belgian style "dubbel" I brewed, though, cause burners don't have the guts to pull it off. New burners arrive Wednesday!

One brew I cooked the enzymes, which was the brew I had intended to brew the day SWMBO had errands for me. I was shooting for a 1.037I think I am going to do a countertop minimash of some 6-row probably 1 lb and add to the primary on that batch. I read that worked good per Braukaiser.com, at helping with stalled beers or improperly mashed beers. It was intended to be one of the parts to blend a Newcastle style brew. I had to abort the Old ale part I had planned to brew the following week due to rain. I think that batch is doomed. Guess I should've done the un-blended recipe instead. Maybe I will. Target OG for the amber component, was 1.031, and I cooked the mash accidentally, and added some more malt (2-row) but overshot the OG - ended up 1.047. Gonna just drink it or dump it - only 6 gal batch.

Def got the "stinkeye" from SWMBO a few days. "What are you doing today? You're not brewing again are you?" But in spite of that I was able to brew 8 additional brews (11 Gal each - so I can get two Cornys full after trub losses). Did a Red Ale, a Burton style English Pale Ale, an ESB, a IIPA, a Dry Stout, a Pale Ale, a Stone Levitation Ale clone, and a Belgian-style "Dubbel", all in the last 13 days. 94 gal total (would've been 100 if I had brewed the Old Ale!)

TD

Funny you ask this! Last sunday i was just getting ready to collect my first runnings and i get a phone call from my 16 YO's friend. My son had broken his arm snowboarding.

So as i was waiting to get the specifics.....i sparged...put the lid on the BK and put in the garage.

10 hours and surgery later......i returned home with my son. While i stayed home with him this past monday....i threw the kettle on the burner and finished it up.....

fermenting away nicely, we'll see how it turns out.....Broken Arm Porter.....

Funny you ask this! Last sunday i was just getting ready to collect my first runnings and i get a phone call from my 16 YO's friend. My son had broken his arm snowboarding.

So as i was waiting to get the specifics.....i sparged...put the lid on the BK and put in the garage.

10 hours and surgery later......i returned home with my son. While i stayed home with him this past monday....i threw the kettle on the burner and finished it up.....

fermenting away nicely, we'll see how it turns out.....Broken Arm Porter.....

Any update on how things are going? I'm sure by now the arm has healed and beer is possibly all gone.

Contemplating delaying a boil.

brewing a Doppelbock. Tried a Decoction mash - just one decoction and the other steps by adding heat. Skipped protein rest. Lots of teig. I can already tell the sparge, but only 5 gallons, is going to take a long time.

was planning a 90-120 minute boil and the mash - out is still coming up to temp - and its nearly 5PM. Granted I've only got me and the dog this weekend, so I'm free to do as I like.

Thinking Sparge and clean-up tonight, and boil in the morning....

TD

edit- well the Thunder & Lightning storm that started to roll in, just as the longest-sparge-in-history was wrapping up, pretty much decided that my brewing is over for the day. NO Way I could have finished.

Latest posts

Back