TRUE STORY (photo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonaken

Reaction score
So a friend and fellow homebrewer gave me a 6-pk of his Russian Imperial Stout to drink. Which tasted AWESOME. I even let others try it and they also thought it was great. I was down to my last one and was savoring the thought of drinking this smooth high ABV delicious beer when I popped the cap this is what I saw! (see photo). I called him up and we laughed about it while we were trying to figure out how the heck could that have got in there. He sanitized right before he bottled and capped so it must of snuck in then. Well at least he died HAPPY!!!

Adventures in homebrewing.
Jon

image-2858626844.jpg

How did that bottle taste?

This is part of the reason I use a bottle washer before my cleaning sequence. There's stuff in some bottles that won't come out with just a soak.

I think SWMBO would NOT be cool with this. She would probably never drink a beer again.

I would have drank that right up. I have had flies in my beer glass before and scooped them out and kept drinking.

Gross. I consider myself a man's man in most ways, I love getting greasy working on cars, I like house projects from plumbing to roofing to electrical, love beer, scotch, and cigars, but there is no way in hell I'd drink that. I hate spiders. If it were any other bug (fruit fly, ant, etc.) I'd probably flip it out and drink the beer, but spiders, no way. Anything with more than 6 legs is just too creepy to ingest or even be around food in my book.

I would'a dug him outta there with my pocket knife, poured what was left in a tall glass to check for legs and such and pending no legs, feet or pieces, drank that beer. I would then follow it with 2 shots of Jim Beam to sanitize.

Hmmm. Makes me wonder. If a poisonous bug steeped in your bottled beer, would it denature the proteins that form the toxin?

Imagining taking a swig from a bottle that housed a recluse. Talk about rotgut.

Mikespunchlist said:
I would'a dug him outta there with my pocket knife, poured what was left in a tall glass to check for legs and such and pending no legs, feet or pieces, drank that beer. I would then follow it with 2 shots of Jim Beam to sanitize.

Lmao, Ditto.

FYI: I absolutely did not drink, I dumped. 🍺the spider was soaked in there for awhile.

Pending verification of the type of spider, I would have removed said spider and drank the beer. All spiders are poisonous to some extent or another, but if it was a deadly variety, now way. Anything else and I'm good to go. I've definitely scooped bugs out of my beer and kept on drinking.

One day an Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman walked into a pub together. They each bought a pint of Guinness. Just as they were about to enjoy their creamy beverage, three flies landed in each of their pints, and were stuck in the thick head. The Englishman pushed his beer away in disgust. The Scotsman fished the fly out of his beer, and continued drinking it, as if nothing had happened. The Irishman, too, picked the fly out of his drink, held it out over the beer, and started yelling, "SPIT IT OUT, SPIT IT OUT YOU BASTARD!!!!

Replace fly with spider, Guinness with RIS and it works....

Whatevs. I bought a box of dried crickets and a box of dried larva at a nearby theme park for the fun of it. I doubt they tasted half as good as a nice Russian Imperial Spider Stout.

Best Beer Food pairing ever!

You all are over reacting about a little spider in a beer. My biggest conflict would be....do I drink the beer before I eat the Russian Imperial Spider or do I Eat the Russian Imperial Spider and then Drink the beer.

People will eat the worm at the bottom of a bottle of mescal but they won't drink a beer that had a little spider in it? I'd flick it out, take a sip, and if all tasted fine I'd keep on drinking. I have a buddy that would probably have eaten the spider just for curiosity sake. Personally, I don't mind sharing beer. It's not like he could have drank much and the poor guy went out happy. I could only be so lucky.

Sorry, Jon. My bad, my bad...

SWMBO was the one rinsing and capping, I was just filling. She still is baffled as to how that sucker got in there. We had just washed sanitized both bottles and caps.

Personally, I would've drank it still.

What did the wife say when you showed her?

When I bottle these next batches I'll be sure there's no "spider" in the bottles I give you. Hmmm I wonder about...

Haha. The wife was like "Ahhh!!! You don't drink that did you?!?"

You really never know what could of snuck into your bottle while bottling.

Too bad you are not Miller or Bud cause I would have been rich!!! Personal harm lawsuit!!! (I don't know the specific term)

I found a small roach in one of my bottles. I had poured the beer into a glass (and already drank some of it). Then I put some tap water in the bottle to rinse out the sediment. Poured it into the sink and there he was. I'm not gonna lie... I took another sip of the beer after seeing the roach. I wanted to see if it tasted funny. It didn't, but I poured the rest out anyway.

As for spiders... I dont see the big deal. They're totally edible. I found this little guy in a market in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. There was a vendor selling all sorts of locally harvested critters - tarantulas, scorpions, grubs, grasshoppers, and even whole frogs (skin, bones and all). She fried them in coconut oil with some garlic salt, and sold them by the bag full. The locals were eating them like popcorn :)

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

dmoore714 said:
I found a small roach in one of my bottles. I had poured the beer into a glass (and already drank some of it). Then I put some tap water in the bottle to rinse out the sediment. Poured it into the sink and there he was. I'm not gonna lie... I took another sip of the beer after seeing the roach. I wanted to see if it tasted funny. It didn't, but I poured the rest out anyway.

As for spiders... I dont see the big deal. They're totally edible. I found this little guy in a market in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. There was a vendor selling all sorts of locally harvested critters - tarantulas, scorpions, grubs, grasshoppers, and even whole frogs (skin, bones and all). She friend them in coconut oil with some garlic salt and sold them by the bag full. The locals were eating them like popcorn :)

Omg dude. That's freekin gross!

As for spiders... I dont see the big deal. They're totally edible. I found this little guy in a market in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. There was a vendor selling all sorts of locally harvested critters - tarantulas, scorpions, grubs, grasshoppers, and even whole frogs (skin, bones and all). She friend them in coconut oil with some garlic salt and sold them by the bag full. The locals were eating them like popcorn :)

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

You ever look at a cambodians teeth?

Back